How do you when it is the right time to euthanise your pet?

1. mooboomoo profile image78
    mooboomooposted 6 years ago

How do you when it is the right time to euthanise your pet?

My parents have sadly had to make the decision to have our family dog Bailey put down today. The inevitable question that arises is 'did we do it too soon? Could he have perked up and lasted a little longer?' It's an owners guilt and whilst they know it was the absolute right decision to make and the kindest thing to do for Bailey, there is still the guilt, and of course the dreadful sadness at losing a family member after 14 years.

So how do you know in your heart that you made the right decision and how do you begin to cope with it?

RIP Bailey boy xxx

2. GDiBiase profile image74
    GDiBiaseposted 6 years ago

I recently went thru this with my beloved Shih Tzu. It is a hard thing to be forced to decide. My Shih Tzu had a stroke in October that left her right side week  She would fall over and walk as if she was just learning how to walk. But within 2 weeks was again her high spirited self. Three weeks ago today she had another more severe stroke, we decided to do MRI and all the tests the vet recommended. She was in the hospital 4 nights, We visited her for the first time the next day, which was Saturday she was paralyzed and all she could move were her eyes. We were hopeful still, but come Monday night she was still in the same condition and we knew we needed to set her free from pain, we had already spent $4000, so it had nothing to do with money but more to do with our love for her. We feel we gave her the dignity she deserved. On Tuesday which was Valentines day we set her free of her pain, the ultimate act of love. I still feel sad/guilty I could not help her, she was my baby and only 8yrs old. She will always be in my heart she was a member of our family. Take heed, you did what was best for your furry baby, do not beat yourself up. Bailey is at peace, rest assured he still loves you unconditionally as he always did.
    RIP Bailey!
    Take care

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

I am very sorry for your loss. Putting a beloved pet to sleep is the hardest thing many of will ever have to do. It is absolutely heartbreaking.

No one can tell you when it's time. Your veterinarian can give you insight and make suggestions, and your pet can give you hints but ultimately it is a personal choice and you can only do the best you can do at the time. Try not to second guess your decision or that of your parents.

I believe that euthanasia is harder for those who remain than the pets we put to sleep. Understand that guilt is a normal part of the grieving process, but also realize that you care deeply and wanted the best for your pet. You did what you thought was the right thing to end your pet's suffering.

As far as the healing process, it just takes time. Go through old pictures, make a memory album or slide show. Write your pet a last letter or make a donation in his memory to the local animal shelter. Find a pet loss support group in your area if you can, or talk to a counselor if you think that might help.

Feel your pain and allow yourself to grieve for as long as it takes. When it's time perhaps you will find another pet to fill the void and honor Bailey's memory by letting your love for him live on in a new relationship.