Do you have a hard time making decisions?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Handicapped Chef profile image68
    Handicapped Chefposted 10 years ago

Do you have a hard time making decisions?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8097010_f260.jpg

2. jabelufiroz profile image70
    jabelufirozposted 10 years ago

One of the most common problems that clients complain about is their inability to make a decision.  This isn’t the same as procrastinating, where you put off doing most things.  I’m taking about needing to decide yes or no, or to choose between different alternatives, e.g., should I do this or that?  And an awful lot of people just don’t want to choose.

Why would so many people (including possibly you) put off making decisions when the failure to act often results in negative consequences in their lives?  Should I ask that woman I like out on a date?  Should I go out with the man who asked me out?  Should I ask for a raise?  Should I take this job or that job?  Where should we go on vacation?  Should we allow our teenage daughter make the trip she wants to make all alone?

http://www.mortylefkoe.com/hard-time-making-decisions/#

Handicapped Chefposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The question I ask was for you to give your view not to Google up link what is your point THE QUESTION.
      I find many people have trouble making decisions, I tend to be more proactive. I like to think about it like this, By making a decision I am choos

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

I have always had a hard time making decisions.  It takes a long time, because I tend to weigh every single option every time.  I don't know if I'm unusual, though, in that once I have made a decision, I want to act immediately.  I absolutely hate hesitating to do what I've decided to do once I've chosen the path.

I am learning the best thing to do is weigh your options. Do what your heart tells you, it will never steer you wrong

4. cherihut profile image60
    cherihutposted 10 years ago

Hmm... I'm not sure. wink Seriously, though, this one I can actually answer. Yes! And the more choices, the harder it is. I think it might have something to do with the fact (at least I think it's a fact) that I'm a little bit O.C.... with the result that I have a fear of making wrong choices. I know, I know... "there is nothing to fear, but fear itself." What can I say? I try to overcome, but... c'est la vie. Hey, I'm still a work in progress (I hope!).

Making decisions is very important. We make tons and tons of decisions everyday. To me, decisions are very important. As we get older we make more and more important decisions. When I come to make a decision there are two ways to do it. Do it or just

2. Billie Kelpin profile image84
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ch, Found it:  It's the Myers Briggs Test! "There are those who prefer a closed-ended style of decision-making (judgers), and those who prefer to leave their decisions as open-ended as possible, for as long as possible (perceivers)." It's GOOD!

5. moronkee profile image70
    moronkeeposted 10 years ago

I'm always quick to make a decision especially if I have no other alternative.

While indecision can have many costs, from lost revenue to a suffering ... Quick decision-making can have many positive results:......But it can also hurt you maybe some time you need to things over.

6. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 10 years ago

Generally, I do not have much difficulty at all.  Most of the decisions I make are somewhat easy, at least for me.  When the hard decisions do come, I generally pick the one that seems best at the time and work with it; if it wasn't the best, I do something to make it better.  I hardly ever hesitate.

Most people are afraid of making a decision. One of their biggest regrets was the decisions they hadn't made or the ones they had made "too late." Many of them complained about taking too long to make important decisions.

7. Escobana profile image77
    Escobanaposted 10 years ago

Whether it is a big decision or not, I always go by my instinct. Therefor I find it easy to decide what I want to because I'm confident I'm making the right decision in that moment.

If I'm wrong I learn from it and move on knowing life is a constant flow of new fases and learning moments.

I agree with you on what your saying tuning in to your physical sensations ( meaning instinct ) can not only help you make the right decision—it might just save your life

8. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

No. Actually, those who are affected by my quick decisions face a hard time!

What if the tables were turned and they did that to you.

9. WalterPoon profile image68
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

It all depends on what kind of decision. Most of the time, we have a hard time making decisions because the problem has an emotional aspect to it, making us think irrationally. Our mind tells us to do one thing, while our heart tells us to do another. When there is no emotional component to it, most decisions are quite easily solved, even if all possible solutions are unpalatable. You just choose the lesser evil.

Well said Walter as humans we make decisions based on the value of the outcome of the event that is brought before us it's how we deal with them that makes the difference.

10. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 10 years ago

Certain times, it is hard to decide between 2 options. But then whenever it is needed to decide, I will go with my heart.

You can't make decisions based on fear and the possibility of what might happen.” ... “Trust your instincts, and make judgements on what your heart tells you.

11. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

I wish I could remember what personality profiling system I was reading about that described why people like me can't seem to make decisions. I'm not sure if it's the one that describes random, abstract, concrete, sequential as four parameters of thinking, but that might be it. 
    ANYWAY, there is a certain type of thinker who has difficulty in making decisions because they are very open-ended and always waiting for more information.  They never have closure, even AFTER a decision is made.  I'm very much like that.  As a kid I used to watch a movie, thinking, actually hoping that the next time, the ending might be different.  No door is completely ever closed for me, including the door that my husband walked out of 20 years ago, in spite of the fact that he was extremely comfortable with closing that door and getting on to a new life very, very quickly. 
    As a matter of fact, even in the physical world, I have difficulty walking through doorways!  People tell me I stop in the middle.  I always have.  A friend in college more than 40 years ago noticed this because he kept running into the back of me every time we walked from building to building. Actually, I really am happy with this "inability" and open-endedness which probably makes me totally maladjusted smile 
    (BTW If anyone is familiar with that personality profile research, I'd be interested in knowing which "test" that one it is connected with.)

What your talking about may be call ambivalence researchers have been investigating how ambivalence, or lack of it, affects people's lives, and how they might be able to make better decisions. Overall, thinking in shades of gray is a sign of maturity

2. cherihut profile image60
      cherihutposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Billie, discovered comments aren't allowed a lot of room, so have to keep this short. I understand! I am like that also in some ways. As for the personality type, I think you might be like me - "Melancholic." I'd just do a search engine for the test.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image84
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It certainly helps to make decisions slowing when it comes to war or divorce!  My mother always said, "Measure 7 times, cut once."

4. Handicapped Chef profile image68

cherihut that was nice sharing we all have some thing that some one else has and to share it is really great.

12. LensMan999 profile image58
    LensMan999posted 10 years ago

Sometimes making decisions are very hard for me. I think a lot even on silly matters and that may be the reason for it. I want the things I do to be perfect. So the decisions are also very necessary to be perfect.
    I always make a final decision that I think is good for me and don't do any harm to others.

For some people decision making is easy. But for most of us, it's difficult to know if we're using good judgment as we make daily decision about life. It becomes even harder with important, life-changing decisions

13. DDE profile image48
    DDEposted 10 years ago

I don't have a hard time making decisions, I go with my gut and every time it is the right decision, I listen to my inner-self.

"It is perceived through your body, not necessarily through your mind." ... Your "gut feeling" should be the starting point for your reasoning. From there you apply what you know to decide if you should trust your feelings or not.

14. Infectionstudios profile image61
    Infectionstudiosposted 10 years ago

Personally, it depends on the severity of the decision. If it's something important, than I'll try to weigh out the pros and cons of either choice, and that usually results in a more difficult process. But if it's something simple, like choosing where to eat, then there's really no hesitation or tough-thinking on my end.

Severity is being strict or harsh.  put some times a punishment for trying to do what you think I best.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)