jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the importance of the Body Mass Index (BMI) ?

1. dumindu89 profile image71
    dumindu89posted 5 years ago

What is the importance of the Body Mass Index (BMI) ?

2. Axaflaxar profile image45
    Axaflaxarposted 5 years ago

It let's you know how much lean mass you carry along with body fat.  There is a difference between overweigth and over fat. I would be considered overweight according to the medical standards but I am not over weight. I weigh 220 but I am athletic.  So it is a good tool to have if you are really trying to change your body

3. Adamowen profile image81
    Adamowenposted 5 years ago

It doesn't have a real purpose. Calculating body fat percentage is what you need to do. Muscle tissue mass vs fat tissue mass. Typical tests are body fat calipers, scales that used electric impulses to measure various masses and the most accurate is Hydrostatic testing which can be expensive but is the best way to gain accurate results.

4. FigureCompetition profile image73
    FigureCompetitionposted 5 years ago

Most people think BMI tells you about bodyfat when in fact the BMI measure simply tells you about the relationship between your height and your weight, it does not take body composition into consideration.  The problem with this is that if you are muscular then you will weigh heavy and have a high BMI which would indicate that you are at risk of certain medical conditions.

My hub answers this question more fully:

http://figurecompetition.hubpages.com/hub/What-is-BMI

working