jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Why is personal Hygene so important?

1. jimmythejock profile image86
    jimmythejockposted 6 years ago

Why is personal Hygene so important?

Is it Important to be clean or are we covering up our natural body scents?

2. Don Bobbitt profile image95
    Don Bobbittposted 6 years ago

Yes, One should bathe regularly for good personal Hygiene, if for no other reason.
    But, too much of a good thing can turn bad on you.
    One should not bathe too often, ir they can do serious damage to their skin and hair if this is done for a long period of time.
    A few years ago, i got into trips to the Gym,daily, and with Golf a couple of times a week, and work, I was showering twice a day.
    A long story short, I ended up with dry hair problems and skin problems, that it took me several months and a trip to a dermatologist to get resolved.
    So, be careful. there is such a thing as too clean.

3. Lauryallan profile image79
    Lauryallanposted 6 years ago

I think Don is right and it's all about moderation. Too much of a good thing isn't good either but avoiding it completely is bad. As with most things in life balance is what is required.

4. drspaniel profile image88
    drspanielposted 6 years ago

I must agree with Don Bobbitt, too much of ANYTHING will be bad for you, and if you are over hygienic, you can cause yourself serious problems in the future. It's recommended that you wash your hands after touching dirty stuff, however don't then decide you must have a shower after you make contact with anything.

This can also lead to paranoia!

5. Kulsum Mehmood profile image63
    Kulsum Mehmoodposted 6 years ago

I personally think one or two showers a day are okay depending upon the climatic conditions. Not to use soap everytime though. Clenliness is next to Godliness. But too much of a good thing is also bad.

6. kgc-66 profile image59
    kgc-66posted 6 years ago

Hygiene is important, but there is 'natural' and then there is 'nasty.'  Good hygiene is really defined by the society in which you live - many non-U.S. cultures, for instance, do not use deodorant or bathe/wash hair daily.  I think we can carry cleaning to an extreme.  You obtain a certain amount of immunity from exposure to certain organisms, and if you are constantly washing and using sanitizer, etc., you can do your immune system more harm than good.  The 'five second rule' is probably a good example of that.  Personally, I do not like body odor and find it offensive - but there are obviously times it's unavoidable.  Good judgment rules.

7. wiserworld profile image91
    wiserworldposted 6 years ago

I agree it has a lot to do with climate. If you live in a region where it is hot and humid all of the time then you may have to shower more than twice depending on your body chemistry. In dryer climates you could probably get away with one -- or skip a day and spray on the perfume to avoid repulsion from the skunk odour.

8. Nare Anthony profile image71
    Nare Anthonyposted 6 years ago

We have so many problems, we surely don't want to add another with being dirty. It causes sicknesses and is a big turn off!

working