Why do so many hubbers delete comments just because they disagree?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. TFScientist profile image78
    TFScientistposted 12 years ago

Why do so many hubbers delete comments just because they disagree?

I see this a lot particularly on hubs espousing things like Noahs flood, or the inerrancy of the bible. I don't delete opposing comments when I write about evolution - why cant these people deal with contradicting opinions. Is it because they know that I have evidence to back up my opinion and they are sadly lacking? Thoughts?

2. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 12 years ago

You answered it yourself, they disagree.

3. Don Crowson profile image59
    Don Crowsonposted 12 years ago

You are right. I think they have formed an opinion and they are afraid to be wrong. Therefore, they refuse to look at other viewpoints.

4. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I might delete negative comments because I want to keep things positive. But then I don't write opinion pieces so I haven't really dealt with that.

A hub article is the work and opinion of the author, not a debate.  So I would imagine if I disagree with the person's opinion and I find we are different schools of thought - I would not read their work anymore if I didn't think it was correct or worthy of reading.

5. cheaptoys profile image60
    cheaptoysposted 12 years ago

well they are the hub owners and thus it is only fair that they get to decide what gets published on their hubs

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Each author has the freedom to deal with comments on their Hubs as they choose.

7. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I have the right as a hubber/writer to delete or approve comments on my hubs. Some comments can only hurt your search engine results because all comments are considered a part of your hubs content when being crawled by Google. I don't see the debate about a hubber deleting a comment they may disagree with or find offensive.

8. georgethegent profile image61
    georgethegentposted 12 years ago

Personally, I don't like to see people being taken out. You either allow them to post their opinion or you don't allow them to post at all. To behave otherwise is bizarre!!!

9. Hendrika profile image68
    Hendrikaposted 12 years ago

I think people are scared of negativity. I have no problem, though, with deleting really offensive comments. I have had some that is no more than a swear word and can only do my Hub harm. Otherwise I think let the communication continue.

10. Suzie ONeill profile image74
    Suzie ONeillposted 12 years ago

I don't know for sure why people do this, but if I had to hazard a guess I would say that they delete comments that make them feel uncomfortable. Personally, I think it's a good thing that people have different opinions and beliefs about different topics. I also tend to be in the minority when it comes to my beliefs and opinions. However, I only delete comments if they're offensive-- for instance if they contain excessive swear words or personal insults toward myself or other people who have left comments on a hub.

11. Jesus was a hippy profile image62
    Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years ago

I too see this quite a lot. I have a few hubs about religion and I leave all comments for anyone to see regardless of wether or not they agree with my hub.

In my personal experience, it is mainly theists that sensor their work. I noticed this firstly on youtube. There are many atheist videos where comments are unregulated but there are many theist videos where comments are either regulated, or not allowed at all.

I cant understand why it is that one side of the debate does not try to hide arguments while the other side of the same debate does.

It doesnt seem right to assert an opinion and not allow anyone to address it.

12. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 12 years ago

Unless the comment is way off topic, a personal attack, or loaded with profanity, I see no reason to ever delete a comment.  In most cases it is purely because the person making the comment was not 100% in agreement with the writer, or the comment provided facts not included by the writer.

13. Ana Teixeira profile image60
    Ana Teixeiraposted 12 years ago

my opinion is this: If people are not prepared to deal with opposing comments.. they shouldn't be writting in hubpages in the first place. When you write something and make it public.. you have to be prepared to deal with any sort of response to it.. not only the "good" ones!

14. EclecticFusion profile image68
    EclecticFusionposted 12 years ago

I actually like to read and share all of the comments. Good or bad, as long as they are constructive!

15. MrMaranatha profile image71
    MrMaranathaposted 12 years ago

Probably because they are trying to show something... and feel that the comment detracts from the message or direction that they are attempting to point the readers thinking toward...

Others just make personal attacks on the author... 'gone'
    others are vulgar...  'gone'
    others have a bad attitude... 'gone' 
    etc etc etc..

Each Blogger wants to keep his blog readable.. and enjoyable so often it boils down to what that author wants read in his or her area.

16. THEHuG5 profile image60
    THEHuG5posted 12 years ago

I haven't gotten any comments that were so negative that I deleted them. I would never delete a comment just because someone disagreed with me. Only if it was completely off topic, spam, or just plain rude.

17. profile image0
    WordsAreStrengthposted 12 years ago

A lot of people, especially online, jsut can't handle confrontation. The way they look at it, anyone who disagrees with them is "attacking" their opinion. They turn any discussion into some schoolyard brawl when it's really nothing more than a difference of opinion.

18. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 12 years ago

Personally, I have never deleted a comment to one of my hubs -- and I am one of those primative and ignorant Christians who espouses things about God, Jesus, The Holy Bible, The Immaculent Conception, The Holy Spirit, The Holy Resurrection, The Crucifixion, and  I could go on.

Also, I have been a contributor to HubPages for nearly a year and on a number of occasions, I have seen atheist hubbers delete comments that they disagreed with. 

Neither "believers," nor "non-believers," hold a monopoly when it comes to deleting comments that they do not like.

19. Evylyn Rose profile image61
    Evylyn Roseposted 12 years ago

We have the choice to approve or deny hub comments. Deciding involves several factors and goes beyond closed-mindedness as is often a rebuttal from those whose comments have been denied in the past. A denied comment deserves an explanation if only to promote positive community interaction and the continued exchange of different ideas, opinions, and beliefs. read more

20. mattforte profile image88
    mattforteposted 12 years ago

Honestly, you shouldn't care. The internet is huge, just forget about them and their page if you don't like it.
    There may be many reasons. If they are just writing informational hubs to other Christians, then you really have no place putting your opinions there. Leave them be, just like they should leave you be.

I have deleted comments before. I like to write to teach and intrigue people. If somebody comes in and starts throwing their opinions around like their opinion is the word of God, and fills my articles with negativity - you bet your ass I'm going to delete them. I want people to come in from Google, and enjoy what they read. Having a bunch of hatred in the comments isn't going to do me any good.

That said, I don't believe in God either. I have certain beliefs, and they are my own. I think Christianity is silly - but I won't go to other people's hubs and start telling them they're silly...that's just childlike trolling.

21. Scribble doo profile image69
    Scribble dooposted 11 years ago

Some comments are like loaded gun. You either delete them or every time you visit that specific hub, they will hit you. The delete button is your failsafe

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)