jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What causes painful cramps in women?

1. Nimmo25 profile image60
    Nimmo25posted 6 years ago

What causes painful cramps in women?

2. Jester98 profile image70
    Jester98posted 6 years ago

Um......Let me think......   Men? ;-)

Cmon we all know the real answer right?

3. drdspervez profile image68
    drdspervezposted 6 years ago

Vitamin D deficiency causes painful cramps in women.During pregnancy child takes up the required amount of calcium and there is deficiency of calcium in mother and that also causes painful cramps in women,so after taking calcium the painful cramps in women goes away.   smile

DR.DURRESHAHWAR PERVEZ

4. paries profile image62
    pariesposted 6 years ago

too much exercise will give you really painful cramps especially if you sudden stop and didn't do some cooling down routine..e

5. I Am Rosa profile image90
    I Am Rosaposted 6 years ago

It depends where the cramps are.  For example:  Facial cramps or neck cramps could be from clenching your jaw from stress.  Muscle cramps can be caused by low potassium levels.  Abdominal cramps could be food related.  Cramps in the pelvic region could be due to menstruation, problems with the ovaries or other female health issues.

6. drsohel profile image77
    drsohelposted 5 years ago

Cause of cramps will be according to site of origin. But in an usual scenario, cramps in women usually occur during menstruation, pregnancy, lactation period etc. Levels of prostaglandin increases during menstruation which is responsible for cramps during menstruation. During pregnancy - stretching of round ligament, gaseous distention of gut, constipation, nutritional deficiency (Calcium, magnesium), decreasing of venous return by compression of great vessel by growing baby within the uterus (causes leg cramps) etc are the cause of cramps. During lactation period nutritional deficiency of calcium causes cramps. You can know more about pregnancy cramps here - http://drsohel.hubpages.com/hub/All-abo … ncy-cramps .