What would you do if 2 of your child's friends were cutting themselves?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. catherinewalsh profile image60
    catherinewalshposted 12 years ago

What would you do if 2 of your child's friends were cutting themselves?

2 of my son's friends confided in him and said they were cutting themselves. I have not met the friends or their parents but feel I need to do something about it. I'm planning to ring their school and inform a teacher. What do you think?

2. momster profile image60
    momsterposted 12 years ago

Best if you talk to the parents first to find out what kind of people they are. Just meet them first. Sometimes when children cut themselves there is an underlying issue of problems that the child is facing. Psychological problems. Sometimes it is a cry for needing attention. They may not know how to deal with certain emotions which takes the attention away from the emotions of pain to physcial pain. They need help and get it for them.
    Make sure that the problem is not coming from home first by meeting the parents.If you feel that the parents are ok then let them know but also let the parents know that the child confided personal information and that the parents need to approach the issue with caution. The parents need to also understand that if they are going to talk to the child that they do it withing a caring concern not with anger or violence. If it is from the home contact the school councilor for the children to see.
    Be aware also that this issue may also be an act of showing off to friends also. Some children do this to prove themselves to their friends. 
    Also let your child know that they did the right thing for coming to you with such a big secret. Your child is going to feel guilty about telling but he needs your support because he may lose his friends over this. Please look at some of the hubs that kelleyward has wrote. She may have a few hubs that may help you out.

3. aDayInMyLife1 profile image91
    aDayInMyLife1posted 12 years ago

What age children are we talking about here? This is a difficult topic to discuss with parents that you have no previous relationship with. If there is a school counselor, as opposed to a teacher, I would speak with him/her. Counselors understand what to look for and how to bring things up and keep them confidential. A counselor woul be more likely to protect your son's confidentiality and keep him out of the situation.

More importantly, it is great that you and your son have such an open and honest relationship. It is shocking what goes on with children these days, and what types of situations they get themselves into. Keep talking, meeting friends, and being involved so your son won't fall in with a crowd that pressures him to do something out of character for him.

I wish you the best of luck. Raising children is a difficult challange.

4. profile image0
    Catzgendronposted 12 years ago

We actually were faced with this situation.  I called the young girls mom and let her know what was going on so she could get her daughter the help she needed.  My daughter thought she would be mad at her but instead she thanked her.

5. Laura in Denver profile image71
    Laura in Denverposted 12 years ago

I would certainly inform the parents. Self-mutilation is a cry out for help that can end up deadly. Usually, it is girls that feel over-controlled, but sometimes boys (maybe to dares?).

I have read a book on a bipolar, anorexic, self-mutilator. Sorry, don't remember author or title. Literature is there if you find the right keywords.

6. RealHousewife profile image68
    RealHousewifeposted 12 years ago

I would speak to the school counselors and I would also be having a very long talk with my own child about the seriousness of this.  I would explain why these kids do this and offer alternative ways to cope and I would try to find websites that offer good explanations.  I would offer to let my child send links to the troubled friends so they could try to understand themselves better.

I would not call the other parents, I am not qualified to do that.  It might be wrong but I would tell the school counselor to do it.

I would be worried about the precursors to this too.

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

First of all I think it is important that we know the friends of our children and their parents. Friends have a tremendous influence on our kids so who they are is important and would  make it easier to call up the parents if you have met.

Calling the school is a good idea, and I hope they act on it but it is hard to say.  Definitely, if I were you, I would acquaint myself with these families right away.

There are a lot of kids seriously cutting these days but also there are wannabes who seek attention.  True cutters usually cut very deeply and then hide it.. Has your son seen the cuts and have you discussed cutting and the dangers of it?

8. catherinewalsh profile image60
    catherinewalshposted 12 years ago

Thank you very much for all your help. The girls in question were 14. I done what I thought was best which was to ring the school they were in and talk to the head teacher. Not only do I have to think about the girls in that situation but also my son.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)