jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can you think of a better term for mental illness?

1. meloncauli profile image95
    meloncauliposted 6 years ago

Can you think of a better term for mental illness?

Bringing the word mental into illness causes many strange perceptions to the masses - crazy, mad, insane, fruitcake,loony. Can you think of a better term to describe these kind of illnesses as a whole?

2. msorensson profile image70
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

These are labels...everything you mentioned, and almost always have bad connotations..I would prefer, human being asleep...

3. drbj profile image83
    drbjposted 6 years ago

I don't know if we will ever be able to completely erase the stigma of being 'mentally ill.' But I have heard substitute terms being used to describe those so afflicted depending on the extent of their material resources. For example: patients with no money whatsoever - 'loony' or 'crazy.' With a little money - 'temporarily insane.' With a little more money - 'suffered psychotic break.' And for the very wealthy, the operational term is 'eccentric.'

4. gsidley profile image89
    gsidleyposted 6 years ago

I would prefer the phrase "mental health problems".

The disadvantages of using the term illness is that it suggests that there is a primary biological cause to a person's problems, some biochemical disturbance causing the symptoms. Despite over 100 years of research this has never been reliably demonstrated. This false assumption of a biological cause results in more stigma, less hope and more helplessness  (not to mention the unpleasant and physically damaging side-effects of long term medication).

5. shara63 profile image68
    shara63posted 6 years ago

Obstructed Intellect syndrome!......this sounds to be a better & respetable term !

6. AnnaCia profile image83
    AnnaCiaposted 5 years ago

It is my opinion that there is not a better term for mental illness-conditon as there is not a better one for a physical or emotional illness.  I have a mental illness-condition and others can do whatever they want with the term.  Now, "crazy, mad, insane, fruitcake, loony" are just ignorant ways to refer to a mental illness.  It is important to point out that the term mental illness is used only when a person has been properly diagnosed.