jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

If an elderly person was out alone late at night and was attacked, who do you bl

1. BkCreative profile image69
    BkCreativeposted 6 years ago

If an elderly person was out alone late at night and was attacked, who do you blame?

2. Melindas Mind profile image69
    Melindas Mindposted 6 years ago

You blame the attacker. To do otherwise would be to intimate that the attacker isn't at blame because someone should have been with the elderly person.

3. mattforte profile image91
    mattforteposted 6 years ago

The attacker of course...who else would you blame? Obama?
    If you are referring to the elderly person, that should be a no-brainer. Everybody has the right to go for a walk whenever they want. To tell them it's their fault is like saying "You're old, old people aren't allowed to go outside past 9pm!"

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

The one who attacks is to blame.  If a young woman goes out dressed like a street walker and is raped - who do you blame? THE ATTACKER!

People may make poor choices but that does not make them responsible for someone committing a crime.  That responsibility rests solely on the person who attacks, rapes, murders etc.  No excuses.

5. FGual profile image61
    FGualposted 6 years ago

We blame the attacker, not the attacked. Strange question with an obvious answer. The identity of the victim is irrelevant, a crime has been committed. In fact, someone who is so cruel and inhumane as to attack an elderly person is even more guilty. They should be given a good dose of their own medicine.

6. MobyWho profile image60
    MobyWhoposted 6 years ago

Question from an over-80 person (me) - At what age should I not be allowed out alone late at night? Next question: who let the elderly person out? If a caretaker was on duty and was instructed to stay with the elderly person or not to let him/her out, that would change the equation. A sharp lawyer could make a case for either or both; attacker and caregiver.
    If I had let the elderly person out, I'd probably carry the blame myself for years - right or wrong.

And remember that the person who puts temptation in front of a thief is just as guilty as the thief - although that really isn't relevant. Jest say'n.

7. glmclendon profile image60
    glmclendonposted 6 years ago

I blame the attacker. A person may act foolishly, but they are still protected by the law.Though they should not have been out, no one has the right to attack them

Stay Well

8. fit2day profile image75
    fit2dayposted 6 years ago

I blame myself if I'm around and don't do anything about it. If I see someone attacking an elderly person, I don't care if I know who's being attacked or not, I'm going to respond the same way I would if someone was attacking one of my family members.

9. profile image49
    ADIL SIDDIQUI 22posted 6 years ago

The attacker must be certainly blamed and put to task.These people don't even respect anybody neither they see who is elder and who is younger.They must be given severe punishment.The person is afraid of going out at night because of being attack by criminals.The city life is no more at peace because of them.

10. archgirl1985 profile image82
    archgirl1985posted 6 years ago

It would depend on the situation. Was there someone who was supposed to be acting as a caregiver and supposed to be with them? Cause that would change it. In that cause it would be both the attacker and the caregivers fault in my opinion. It would never be the elderly persons fault, they did not ask to be attack just because they went for a walk, no matter how late at night it is.

The Victim is just that the victim. They should not be to blame, because someone decided to attack them. The same would go for a girl who was attacked, because she was wearing tight clothing or a short skirt. Just because they dressed that way does not mean that they asked to be attacked. That was a decsion that was made once agian by the attacker. Sorry if I offend or ruffle feathers, but the victim in my opinion should not be blamed.

11. Trish_M profile image84
    Trish_Mposted 6 years ago

I agree that it is certainly the attacker who is to blame.

However, people do have to take responsibility for their own actions, too, so I would still question why someone was putting themselves in danger, or allowing a family member, or someone in their charge, to be to be placed in a dangerous situation.

working