jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do I know if health insurance companies are good?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 5 years ago

How do I know if health insurance companies are good?

I'm looking online to compare health insurance companies. There are a variety of costs and coverages. Even if I find one I want, how do I know if it's good? It's hard to find reviews online. Is there some resource for finding out?

2. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 5 years ago

Sad part of this question is you won't know. I do know, first hand however, when you take out the initial policy as an individual payer the cost is low. Mine was $350.00 a month. Because of pre existing condition (high blood pressure), I was unable to use the policy the first year. Then on my aniversay renewal, I got the real price. It went to $1,250.00 a month, again because of high blood pressure. This made it unafforable, and here I sit with no insurance! When I first signed up however, I purposedly asked if it would go up after the first year. The answer was, I DON'T KNOW by the agent but if it does it will be nominal. I've come to the conclusion he did know, but chose not to tell me. So I threw away $350.00 a month for 12 months for absolutely nothing. I wish you luck!

3. teamrn profile image68
    teamrnposted 5 years ago

Like the gal said below, it can be a crap shoot. But, not always. First, do you have a pre-existing condition? If not, you ought to first go to an INDEPENDENT agent, and ask him/her that you need insurance. Consider how much of a deductible you'd like (the higher the deductible, the lower the monthly premium).

Consider things like how often do you tend to need insurance and how much you're willing or ABLE to pay monthly. My experience has been to stick with the 'name brands' of Blue Cross, Aetna, Humana, United Health Care  and companies like those.

However, if you can't afford those premiums, every state w/ one exception (I don't know what it is) has an insurance plan for people who lack means (but don't qualify for Medicaid)

I'd start by researching the market and checking ALL sites, the talking to an independent agent or if you're sold on a company, call them for information.

4. Louisiana Jobs profile image60
    Louisiana Jobsposted 5 years ago

Find a reputable agent and have them obtain several quotes for you with different deductible amounts and different options such as co-pays and RX cards. If you don't ask to see these options they usually just give you the most common policy they have. You really have to do your homework when dealing with health insurance policies. Unfortunately Obamacare has driven up the cost of health insurance....good luck with your search.