jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you help someone with a weight problem; that uses food to make them feel

1. MG18 profile image60
    MG18posted 5 years ago

How do you help someone with a weight problem; that uses food to make them feel better?

I come across a great deal of people that deal with weight problems.  The underline issue is that the food causes the weight problem but food also makes them feel better.  They seem to go around and around until the find themselves in a early grave. How can we fix this issue?

2. xstatic profile image59
    xstaticposted 5 years ago

It seems to me the only way to "fix" the issue is through medical and counseling efforts. There are counseing services that specialize in weigt control problems. The fact that food makes them feel good means other things are missing in their lives. A psychologist trained in that field could be of great help, safer than most crash diet fads for sure.

3. Diana Lee profile image83
    Diana Leeposted 5 years ago

Finding another passion other than eating makes a big difference. I've lost over thirty pounds over a period of a year by writing instead of eating. This may not sound like much, but it's a big deal to me and I've heard slow is better as it will most likely stay off. If I could only cut out the snacking all together and find time to exercise more I know I could lose more.

4. MG18 profile image60
    MG18posted 5 years ago

What is your route when the medical approach does not help?  Would it be safe to attack this issue head on and tell them what they are doing.  Basically have an intervention and put them on the spot.  It works for drug addicts, why wouldn't work for food addicts?  Maybe we need to have a food rehab clinic (I guess you could call this a gym), we have them for everything else.

working