Have you ever felt like you don't belong?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. KeithJK profile image60
    KeithJKposted 12 years ago

Have you ever felt like you don't belong?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6232147_f260.jpg

2. albertsj profile image82
    albertsjposted 12 years ago

I've never felt like I do belong. So yes!

3. Bonitaanna profile image60
    Bonitaannaposted 12 years ago

Yes Keith, I especially felt that way in my family and in school!  First of all in my family, I was the oldest girl and more was expected of me. I had 3 brothers and a younger sister.  My mother would lay all her housework on me when I got home from school and if I did not move fast enough she would threaten to hurt me if she didn't already do so!  We lived on a farm and there was a lot of work to do. Especially with 5 kids. My brother knocked my front teeth out when I was about 8 years old and that started alot of toment for me at home and in school.  I was not only hurt but embarassed and made fun of.  Kids at school called me fang! When I was cutting my Eye tooth it grew crosswise down in front where the teeth were knocked out. I had to have a wire wrapped around it so it would swing across the space and back into position, during that time I had just entered High School. It was humiliating just to smile or talk. Sometimes I would run to the bathroom and cry in a stall.  My older brother would let me off a block from school.  My sister laughed at me and my two younger brothers and older one would laugh and make jokes about it!  It hurt really bad. When I went to my 20th reunion many people did not know who I was.  I spent a lot of money for bridgework. It is horrible to be laughed at and made a mockery of. I was not popular, I wanted to be a cheerleader, I was not chosen for anything, in school!   After that I became a teenage unwed mother, abandoned by my family and left homeless.  Then the father of the child and I married, he was violent from his drinking and I stayed with him till the children were grown.  When I married my second husband a Jewish Rabbi and singer.......... he and I were asked to go to the Christian Ignaugural and sing for President Bush!!!!!!!!!!!   Those who are last will become first! We don't always stay in the valley. Keep your chin up.  God is with you thru it all! Just do the right thing! God Bless you!

who I was

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

All of my life I have felt like a person with their nose pressed up against the glass. I can see the party, I want to be a part of it, but I can't get in.

5. Naomi Jayne profile image61
    Naomi Jayneposted 12 years ago

Yes Im sure we all thought we didn't belong in the school yard, with all the peer pressure and teenage problems associated.

For me, I belong as I know we are all connected as humans on this planet, connected to family, friends, etc

Belonging is very important=goes right back to triabl days.

6. leenamartha profile image40
    leenamarthaposted 12 years ago

I did not move fast enough she would threaten to hurt me if she didn't already do so! We lived on a farm and there was a lot of work to do. Especially with 5 kids. My brother knocked my front teeth out when I was about 8 years old and that started alot of toment for me at home and in school.

7. slackermom profile image66
    slackermomposted 12 years ago

I am a very shy and self conscience person, so I feel like an outcast in most environments. Not belonging is pretty much a way of life for me but I'm working on it .

8. profile image0
    Olde Cashmereposted 12 years ago

In terms of functioning as expected in the messed up society we have, I always feel like I don't belong, and don't want to belong. Much more comfortable carving my own path in life than hopping on the conveyer belt of conformity.

9. jaswinder64 profile image60
    jaswinder64posted 12 years ago

Feeling that you don't belong is an emotion. Our thoughts change all the time and same way our emotions change. When our mood is not happy, we feel sad, then we feel that we don't belong, otherwise we are all belong to each other. It is our own feeling. So nothing to worry, our thoughts chnge all the time, when we have positive thoughts, we feel connected and belonging. Try to live positive and do good things.

10. sh888 profile image58
    sh888posted 12 years ago

Humans are unique individuals yet seek comfort in associating with generalized groups (aka "fitting in"). Consider this feeling a sign of your individuality and an inevitable aspect of being a human being. Everyone shares this feeling. Ironically, we are all connected in this. Embrace it.

11. blackash91 profile image60
    blackash91posted 12 years ago

All the time. I grew up wondering if I should of even been here. Not that I shouldn't of been born, but that I should be in another country or something. I didn't work well with other kids my own age and I seemed to be only interested in people older than me. *shrugs* I've gotten over it, if I don't feel comfortable being some where that I think I don't belong, I go some where that I do feel belong and stand out.

12. revengadown profile image56
    revengadownposted 12 years ago

That is how I feel.  I can’t believe I’m actually at a site like this but it’s getting worse.  I’ve long felt I was depressed (my entire life), but this is the first time I’ve actually called it quits.  I love life and the experiences of living, I just hate my own life and would wish it upon nobody.  I think the only reason why I haven’t succeeded in killing myself is because of one relative in my life.  I have to outlive them.  But once they go, my expiration will be soon after.  Probably the same day.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in my life with the exception that I don’t fit in.. anywhere.  I try to be social, I try to meet new people, but it always fails.  I feel God put a curse on me.  There’s only so many times where you can tell yourself ”it’s not you, it’s them”.  I’m long beyond that point.

If you knew all about me you’d probably tell me to shut up my life is fine and wonder what my problem is – and I completely agree with you. I don’t know what’s wrong with me.  I think I’m a pretty regular guy.  I’m in good shape,attractive i dont know you must tell me haha, I can hardly make ends meet, I have no debt, a great family.  But I’m otherwise alone in the world.  Every day is redundant.  I’m bored to death.  I work full time, no time for fun,come home late, eat dinner or whatever,check emails, then sleep.  For what?  What’s the point?  The nights I do go out, people (especially my friends) tell me I’m creepy when I don’t even know what I did!?  Forget about talking to girls, they never acknowledge me or act like I’m on crack. Even mediocre girls where I don’t have much interest. People tell me I’m too nice and wear my heart on my sleeve.

I’ve tried group activities and other things with friends but it always leaves me feeling worse, wishing I had never gone out to begin with.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve actually made new friends, only for us to lose touch within a few months. I’m not a bad person at all.Sometimes I do feel great when I get out and things go good, but those days are so rare.

What brought me to the site and the desire to speak up is lately I’ve been moody and hard to please,I dont know what got into me!

I just don’t feel that I’m needed or wanted in this world.  If I were gone, nobody would miss me.  I don’t matter.  With the exception of my one relative.

13. glmclendon profile image60
    glmclendonposted 12 years ago

Sure, we members of a church, and everyone there was family. They mishandled money and this is a crime.  They would let you know , yoou were not from this town. We left the church and never looked back!

Stay Well

14. DAWNEMARS profile image59
    DAWNEMARSposted 12 years ago

Constantly. When I was younger I had no clue where I was likely to belong. Now I am quite content as long as I have no big crowds to navigate.

15. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

This has been a constant struggle for all my life. I am an introvert by nature. I do not like crowds. I have no desire to sit in the rain and watch  football game. I do not get excited over the Superbowl, a golf tournament or anything like that.

I am a loner. I really do not have a problem with that--other people do. There are always people trying to get me involved in some activity, group or event that holds no interest for me.

To some I sound like a very dull person. I have my family, my dogs, reasonably good health and my share of problems ranging from unemployment to lousy insurance at the moment.

I have worked with people who would tell the entire office some of the most liniment details of their personal lives. I have know others who will mention a name and then tell me who that person is married to and then the spouse's mother who went to school with her mother when they lived next door to the man who later owned the car dealership...

I make no apologies and I do not worry about it. I play with my dogs, write Hubs, answer these questions and if put to the test can recall almost every event in my life and even remember almost every news story or column I wrote when I worked for a newspaper. That is just who I am.

16. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 12 years ago

Yes, especially in junior high school. There was so much difference in social standings in our school.  We had over 400 hundred one grade level alone and when you are the new kid on the block, it can be very lonely.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)