Have you ever felt the need for revenge?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (38 posts)
  1. joanwz profile image81
    joanwzposted 10 years ago

Have you ever felt the need for revenge?

What did you do about it? Did you pull of some sneak revenge? Did you plan the revenge but not do anything about it? Did you find some way to train your brain onto something else more constructive?

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 10 years ago

Never, vengence, when it gets you, is like a cancer dragging you down. I don't grasp on to destructive emotions.

joanwzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great answer. THanks.

3. Maggie Bennett profile image59
    Maggie Bennettposted 10 years ago

Revenge is never good.  You could set yourself up for an even bigger fall.
    The best revenge is success.  Forget someone and move on.  Just thinking about someone who has hurt you gives them the power.  That is the last thing you want.
    I know many will disagree, but they are not in my league anyway.  I'm a winner!

Thanks. Good Advice.

2. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, indeed, when other less evolved people are AGAINST you, it is SOOO good when YOU OUTSUCCEED them and leave them in THEIR tracks.  As one celebrity who jad to resign from Miss America stated that the BEST revenge is SUCCESS.

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image88
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

It will not do you any good, if you felt the need to take revenge.
    If a person has caused you hurt, or done something really bad, that shows his/ her mindset. And mindsets are difficult to change. You can have control on your own behavior and not of others. One should try to move on, which may seem difficult initially, but like you said, ---train your brain onto something else more constructive and worth doing.

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

In my youth revenge or "payback" was a strong motivator whenever I felt wronged. However being a adult I simply eliminate toxic people from my life. I determined it was healthier for me not to dwell on things and to move on, focusing only on people who were positive in my life. Let Karma take care of the rest of it.

Getting rid of those toxic people is an excellent point. Thanks.

2. gmwilliams profile image86

Yes, many Scorpios tend to be vengeful when wronged by others.  However, the more consciously evolved a Scorpio is, the less likely he/she will resort to revenge.They maintain that revenge is a waste of time&distance themselves from harmful peopl

6. rainpurplewine profile image66
    rainpurplewineposted 10 years ago

Yes, I have felt the need for revenge,but after much thought I always decide against it.I don't like the feeling of plotting to do someone wrong even if they have wronged me.  Karma is a friend of mine,I let her handle it.

I like that idea of letting Karma handle it. THanks.

2. lone77star profile image75
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful. And if you are grateful for the experience, then your own karma will be paid in full.

3. gmwilliams profile image86

Karma DOES handle it and well.   Many people who were against me and wronged me had terrible things happen to them.   One supervisor remained at a low supervisory level, another had to resign her job etc.   Yes, karma is so wondrous.

7. Aupriann Myers profile image60
    Aupriann Myersposted 10 years ago

I have had some pretty bad things happen in my life and yes I Have wished some Pretty horrible revenge on other people. Then I realized it only hurt me to hold onto such anger. So instead I forgave and forgot.

1. Maggie Bennett profile image59
      Maggie Bennettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.  The forgiving part is easy, the forgetting not so much.

2. joanwz profile image81

Forgiving and forgetting is a good plan. I think if you can get to that place of true forgiveness, you also receive a sense of peace.

3. gmwilliams profile image86

You're so SWEEEET.

8. profile image51
    Shai31posted 10 years ago

Sometimes that's always the first thing that pop out into my mind when I get very mad, but thank God, I was raised by my parents to be a God fearing person so everytime I get mad I always think 100 to million of times until I calm down myself

9. Purpose Embraced profile image84
    Purpose Embracedposted 10 years ago

I have felt the need for revenge, especially when I was deeply hurt by someone. But I have learned the beauty of forgiving. Forgiveness prevents me from bring hurt TWICE- - once by the perpetrator of the hurt, and the other from the resentment and bitterness that I would carry if I didn't forgive.

10. profile image0
    ViolinByCourtneyposted 10 years ago

I did not know my mind, heart, and soul could go to such a dark place until harm came to someone I loved and I wanted so badly to destroy the evil people who had caused it. I knew in my heart that acting on it made me no better than them, and for a while I feared for my own safety and that of those around me because of the terrible dark fantasies of revenge that plagued me. Being a Christian, it was my faith that finally freed me. I now know, having never done it, that I am capable of murder and other terrible violence and it is only my will to do what is right combined with the strength God gave me that keeps me in check.

11. master-space profile image65
    master-spaceposted 10 years ago

Revenge or payback is not a wise solution. I have learn to leave my revenge to God. I feel better if i forgive than to revenge. To err is human to forgive is divine.

12. Bhawna Dixit profile image61
    Bhawna Dixitposted 10 years ago

yes, i think when something bad happens to me. When i put all my best efforts and still result is not up to the mark.When i get back stabbed by friends. when i give it all in a relationship and still it fails. In these cases it is a natural feeling. But there is huge difference between between taking revenge and feeling of taking revenge. It's all about mastering your emotions. We may have hard time dealing with it. But in reality if taken in good way everything and every person and every situation in life teaches us something. Revenge has given birth to some most hideous crimes. Revenge is a negative energy  i translate it into positive and use this energy in way that will help in improving myself. I believe in lord of karma too. in my view if you do something good for anybody then don't expect anything in return. But still according to rule of karma if you do something good to somebody or help somebody then that person may not give you enough credit  for it. you may not get anything in return from him but somebody else  you don't know or know will give you credit for it or help you in need. so it is waste of time and money to seek revenge.

13. Jennifer Bart profile image61
    Jennifer Bartposted 10 years ago

Yes! I have felt the need for revenge many times in my life. I learned to forgive and let things go. To me there is no since in letting anything or anyone control me that much. Forgiveness dose not mean that what they did was ok it just means your not going to allow what ever it was to consume you. When you hold resentment in your only hurting yourself.

14. Beata Stasak profile image79
    Beata Stasakposted 10 years ago

I always remind myself: 'You can not change people but do not let them to change you.' If I would start to plot revenge and think about doing harm to someone just because they have done it to me, I put myself down, bending to their level and it is just unacceptable for me....so no, revenge has no place in my heart or my vocabulary...

15. lone77star profile image75
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

I felt rage and a need for revenge build up inside of me once in traffic. Six times within 2 minutes, a different driver would jerk their car ahead of mind, even when there was not enough room for theirs. No warning, no recognition of my existence and no thanks when their car was safely placed in front of mind.

Traffic had already been frustrating, with bumper-to-bumper, inching forward in the center of 3 westbound lanes on Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles. The year was 1977 and I was traveling about 10 miles from near downtown toward Century City.

After the sixth such intrusion, I just about blew a gasket. It seemed that if enough people stuffed their cars in front of mine, I might actually start moving backwards!

The humor of that image knocked me out of my need for revenge. But it started a chain reaction toward something entirely blissful.

Suddenly, I considered the fact that I had created things in my environment toward which I could flow my frustration. I was so focused on my feeling of frustration, that I had "attracted" more of it. It was my "active" prayer.

Then, I realized that I was 100% responsible not only for the feelings I was creating, but also for everything that happened to me. Taking that viewpoint was entirely liberating, for then I could no longer be a victim. Why? Because I was taking all of the responsibility. Not blame, mind you. Blame is negative; responsibility is entirely positive.

I had gone in a matter of 2-3 seconds from burning rage to utter bliss. I felt invulnerable. Traffic could do whatever it wanted, and I would not have cared. They could've destroyed my body and I would not have minded. I felt as though I had returned home.

The next moment, I considered the idea that if I could create objects of frustration, I could just as easily create the space of bliss.

I got the mental image of wide open spaces and smooth sailing all the way to my destination. Immediately, the cars directly in front of me pulled into the outer lanes, left and right. Within scant seconds, the entire center lane was empty for as far as I could see. Over the next 4 minutes I traversed that gauntlet, free of intrusion. I felt a little like Moses parting the sea.

I've written a hub about this (Anatomy of a Miracle), a short book, "The Art of Forgiveness," and I'm currently writing a longer work that expands on the biblical significance of this ("The Bible's Hidden Wisdom")

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-b … /x/2790782

1. Bhawna Dixit profile image61
      Bhawna Dixitposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Traffic is getting worst day by day. From burning rage to bliss in 2-3 seconds is indeed impressive. I will definitely read your book "The art of forgiveness". I wish your current project ("The Bible's Hidden Wisdom") transform life of us.

16. CrescentSkies profile image63
    CrescentSkiesposted 10 years ago

Multiple times. I generally held the grudge until they weren't prepared for it then slammed em with something they wouldn't expect or enjoy. For instance when someone was bullying me in high school I waited for them to drop their guard then broke the news to their girlfriend that she was being cheated on. I have no remorse about the subject because I never lied (he was cheating on her), I just waited patiently for the right time to inflict the worst blow to him.

17. mcrawford76 profile image88
    mcrawford76posted 10 years ago

In my youth I was consumed (at times) with revenge. My anger overwhelmed me, controlled my thoughts and actions. However, time and teaching has taught me two things in that regard.

1. The best gift in life is a short memory.

2. To hurt another you do as much or more damage to yourself.

18. Amy Pirozzolo profile image61
    Amy Pirozzoloposted 10 years ago

No, I have never felt the need for revenge...

That doesn't mean I haven't been tempted...

Oprah Winfrey has influenced me a lot to "Live Your Best Life", meaning try to live the best life you can. One thing that she, and many others, have found is that, within reason, the more positive you are, the more positive your life will be. Don't you find that to be true as well? Start with a smile smile

Yes, I have found this to be true. I usually try to be positive, though there have been days when negative wins out - but not to the point of vengence.

19. profile image50
    smn007posted 10 years ago

Revenge is a factor in our life from past, it will continue also.....
    Revenge can only make more revenges.... So in our life there is no need of revenge....
    In our country(INDIA) we are saying that we have only one life..So we want to live with joy and love.... So we want a revenge free life....

20. Lor's Stories profile image61
    Lor's Storiesposted 10 years ago

I usually let people go when it comes to being ignorant. After they get to know me we do well. I moved in 1995 to where I live now and I received 3 phone calls fom a woman at our church who did not want me around.
    I was asked to serve on a committee for Adult Education
    On a day in December she told me not to come back to the church because I had  disability and our Pastor did not like people like me.
    Then she got sick and during that time I was having spine surgery. While I was away from the church we had a new priest so I went to a late summer mass.
    When our pastor saw that I was up and about he gave me a hug as did a few other friends. She called me at 11:30 that night and told me how much she suffered and I better read a book on cancer. She asked if my surgery was painful, she asked irrelevant questions and she said she was number1 in our church and don't come back.
    I told her not to call me back again but then one night at a meeting she said I'd never be good enough to be a good catholic . I just wanted to rip her apart.
    I was so angry that all my friends left me. They would not talk to me,
    I started getting panic attacks if I saw her
    During my recovery my pastor was going to visit but he called saying he had an emergency. When I was pulling out of my street I saw her and the priest loading up with soda and stuff for a picnic. He did not look happy but she sure was.
    I wrote about it in a journal. It was not nice.
    I caught her in more lies. And after awhile I had no friends left at all.
    She used her disease to get what she wanted., I tried to get her to like me but she really was angry at me for what I don't know.
    She died after 14 years of cancer. That's when I found out she was deeply in love with our pastor. Which I wasn't. But she sure made me want to scream at her for making me afraid to darken the doors of our church;
    I didn't go to the funeral because I didn't know she died. I wasn't glad she died but it was easier for me to go back to mass.
    I guess I would have just screamed at her to let her know I was on to her tricks.
    She hurt a lot of others and made many older parishioners cry.

1. Maggie Bennett profile image59
      Maggie Bennettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That was a horrid thing to go through.  I hope things are better for you now.  Peace.

2. joanwz profile image81

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I  am glad things are better for you now.

3. Lor's Stories profile image61
      Lor's Storiesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think I punished myself more. But I would have liked to get to the bottom of why she was so mean to me. I'll never know now.

4. joanwz profile image81

Yeah, those unanswered questions are always difficult. And I'm sorry to hear about how you punished yourself for this. I can tell that none of this was your fault. and I hope you find a measure of peace there.

21. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 10 years ago

I’ve thought about it but never acted on it, I always tell myself that I would only be stooping to that lowlifes level and I’m trully the better person to just walk away no matter how hard it was to do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)