jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do you consider harmful lifestyle choices such as smoking a subtle and slow form

1. CWanamaker profile image99
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

Do you consider harmful lifestyle choices such as smoking a subtle and slow form of suicide?

2. fit2day profile image80
    fit2dayposted 5 years ago

Though smoking is very harmful, it would have to be far worse to be a slow form of suicide. As for hard drugs, I'd have to say yes

3. tlmcgaa70 profile image78
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

if it is, it is not a conscious decision to commit suicide. my mother started smoking when she was 5 yrs old, thanks to an older brother who thought he should make all his younger siblings smoke. she is in her sixties now, and is unable to stop smoking. she also suffers a great deal of pain, and somehow the smoking eases it slightly. at least it keeps her calmer through it. she knows she should stop but cannot make herself do it.  on the bright side of things, the last 2 times she was in the hospital (broken hip and colon surgery) her doctors pronounced her to have clear, healthy lungs.

4. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

If this logic is sound, than anyone who engages in any kind of risky behavior is also engaging in a slow form of suicide - sky diving, hiking in mountain lion infested trails, taking public transportation, etc....

1. CWanamaker profile image99
      CWanamakerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Very true.  Where should the line be drawn?

5. Patclyn profile image60
    Patclynposted 18 months ago

No, I don't. Addictions are not easy to over come and it is far easier to give in to addictions and not think about the consequences than stopping the addictions or harmful habits.

working