What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a contact lens?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Vellur profile image94
    Vellurposted 12 years ago

What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a contact lens?

2. Jlbowden profile image85
    Jlbowdenposted 12 years ago

I believe a few of the advantages to wearing contact lenses are as follows:

Do not have to reach for a pair of glasses in the middle of the night to find and put your glasses on, let's say to make a trip to the bathroom.

Secondly wearing contact lenses makes many individuals look more appealing to others

Third reason is that contact lenses come in various tints or shades, therefore you are able to change your eye color by mix and matching contact lenses.

A few of the disadvantages of wearing contact lenses  would be:

One of your contact lenses could fall out while playing sports, or even taking a swim at the beach. And this could be a disadvantage resulting in a possible embarrassing moment or two for the contact lense wearer.

Secondly if you lose a contact lense while driving this could result in an individual winding up in a serious vehicle accident, because of obscured vision in one of the eyes.

And third-constant wearing of contact lenses overtime can change the peripheral vision of your eyes, which in itself is a disadantage because your overall vision overtime from wearing contact lenses can worsen. 

These are a few of the advantages and disadvantages of wearing contact lenses, however there are many other reasons to wear and not to wear contact lenses.

Jlbowden

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

I used to wear contacts and the advantages are 1) not having to bother with glasses, 2) swimming and seeing, 3) perhaps improved appearance, 4) ability to wear sunglasses that don't have to fit over glasses or wear prescription sunglasses. Disadvantages for me were 1) eye irritation, 2) frailty of the contacts, 3) losing them.

4. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 12 years ago

With contacts, you see better in peripheral vision.  So you can see better when playing sports and sometimes when driving where you have to see things from the side of you eyes.  Also they don't move around like glasses when you are playing sports.

5. thebiologyofleah profile image67
    thebiologyofleahposted 12 years ago

Overall I prefer contact lenses to glasses but one major disadvantage of contact lenses, as far as I'm concerned, is using a computer for a long time. I feel  my eyes are bothered with contacts in if I am on the computer for a long time.  I think wearing a mix of the two is the best, because as some other answers have pointed out wearing contacts all the time can make your eyesight worse.  A major advantage of contacts is during the summer when you need to wear sunglasses as well, for me it is easier to wear contacts with regular (not prescription) sunglasses.

6. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

My wife used to wear contact lens and now she is wearing glasses.

The advantage is more of looks and comfortable than glasses.

Disadvantage is that it can cause irritation and cutting the surface of the eyes when rubbing. She didn't know and it caused an infection. Luckily it is not a serious cut as she is using the soft lenses.

So our decision is stick with the inconvenience of glasses to be safe.

7. larcaustin46 profile image68
    larcaustin46posted 12 years ago

For me, the advantage of contact lenses has been peripheral vision.  My eyesight and astigmatism are such that wearing glasses involves thick, heavy lenses that distort my depth perception and eliminate all peripheral vision.  Long story short, I tend to fall down stairs a lot wearing glasses! 

I am lucky in that I easily tolerate extended-wear lenses and can sleep in mine.  This was invaluable as a new mom dealing with night feedings and insomniac infants.  I have had a few eye infections over the years, necessitating removal of a lens until healing is complete, and it slowed me down somewhat, but these have been few and far between.

8. Mary Stuart profile image69
    Mary Stuartposted 12 years ago

The advantage of contact lenses for me was purely for ego. I thought I looked better without glasses. That said, I never enjoyed clear vision with my contact lenses. I have an astigmatism and just could not get the contacts to work. Bummer!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)