Why Do So Many People Need Spectacles/Contact Lenses etc?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

Why do so many of us need glasses/contact lenses or whatever? Even although there are billions of humans on this planet, there is still a high proportion of us who need some form of correction for poor eyesight - from a young age and not just when getting older. Do you think that human beings have some kind of genetic weakness in relation to vision?

2. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

because we're able to correct it, our bad vision doesn't get culled genetically - so people aren't selecting for good vision and those with poor vision are surviving.  It does mean that we have made ourselves weaker visually by being able to correct it.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly my first thought as well.

2. Seeker7 profile image81
      Seeker7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi mega1 - I hadn't thought about the fact of, due to our correcting vision that we have made our sight weaker. A really interesting point!

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a line Scientologists use but data on this shows that actually people not correcting have their vision deteriorate faster than those who are, due to extra strain and damage to the eyes constantly trying to bring things into focus.

3. thooghun profile image95
    thooghunposted 12 years ago

Our eye's internal organs are back-to-front and are therefore more delicate than they should be. Intelligent design? I think not.

The reason for this? Probably because we evolved from a marine environment to the land.

This is really interesting, as you say we developed from a marine environment. However, if you look at other predators they have excellent eyesight, I'm assuming that as far as nature is concerned we are still a predatory species, and it goes without saying that vision is one of the essentials for this.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

I wear a contact lens bec. I am nearsighted

I have to wear contacts/glasses as well - it's a pain in the butt!!

5. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

also, everyone knows that people who wear glasses are more intelligent - therefore intelligent people pick other intelligent people therefore more glasses! more weak eyes!

also, inbreeding - there's that!

becuz people who wear glasses only make passes at other people who wear glasses! lol

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I didn't need glasses into my forties.  Then (because of a lot going on, I stopped spending much time reading).  When I started reading again a few months later, all of a sudden I needed glasses.    I'm convinced that there's at least the chance (at least for some age-related reading problems) that if we don't keep exercising the eye muscles required for reading (and in the right light), maybe it's a "use it or lose it" type of thing (at least for middle-aged people.

As for explaining some of the other vision problems - I like mega1's theory.

1. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, what happened to you is perfectly normal.  After 40, it becomes more difficult to focus on objects up close because of presbyopia. This is the loss of focusing ability due to hardening of the lens inside your eye.  As you continue to age presbyopia becomes more advanced.

I agree Disturbia, in nature most animals loose a significant percentage of their vital senses as they grow older. And obviously in the wilds that does have severe consequences for the animals concerned - I wonder if our ancestors had the same problem?

Lack of teeth or gross bodily injury probably got them before deficits in eyesight.

Hi psycheskinner - that's a good point! Not the same thing I know, but just for comparisons, the dogs that I have had as pets, many have developed arthritis long before their eyes were affected. I would imagine it could be the same in the wild.

Also, in past we probably didn't need acuity as much.  Catching prey mainly required seeing movement, finding fruit is based more on color--and our ancestors weren't doing a lot of reading.

So your dogs sight was probably less than 20/20 much earlier than when it had a noticeable deficit in being able to get around.

That's very impossible and you've actually not only made a valid point but actually reminded me of something important - that as a dog owner of many years standing I should have remembered - and that is that the sense of smell is the strongest sense a dog has, followed by hearing. Sight is only the third sense and not used nearly as often or as effectively as the first two. Although my oldest dogs did loose some hearing, their sense of smell didn't seem to be too badly affected.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

There is always variation, some people see better, hear better, run faster. And all these things deteriorate with age.  This is just a deficit that can be easily corrected these days.

Hi psycheskinner - I take your point about everyone being different. But if you look around you Idon't think it's just a case of a small number of people needing to correct their vision, there does seem to be a lot of us humans that have poor vision - good for the opticians not so good for us! I wonder as well, if wearing glasses/lenses is actually that good for your eyes over a lengthy period of time? I think, personally speaking, it does make the eyes muscles lazy!

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just the other day someone (around 50) mentioned to me that if he leaves his glasses off his eyes tend to do better than when they get used to having the glasses on.  With me (and I know originally, the OP wasn't talking about age-related reading glasses), it happened so suddenly.  As l long as I was reading daily my eyes were the same as they'd always been.  It was after stopping reading on a daily basis (and only really reading my mail when it came, and that was most often not "big reading" material) that I discovered when I went back to it everything was blurred.  Maybe younger eye muscles don't  "atrophy" (or whatever would describe the eye/brain connection) as quickly.   The other thing I've always wondered about is a situation where the eyes aren't frequently re-adjusting between natural, outdoor, light and the different indoor lighting (and nights too).  I'd think being in only a couple of types of lighting over a long period of time might mean lack of eye exercise too.

Hi Lisa, that's really interesting! I wonder then if the solution for many of us should be 'exercises' to strengthen the eye muscles rather than giving corrective lenses. When people opt for laser therapy for their eyes instead of having to wear glasses etc. I think it's the shape of the lens of the eye that the doctors are changing. This also perhaps points to the fact that it is the muscles in our eyes that are lacking more than anything else?

8. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I wear contacts because I am near-sighted and also have a lazy eye. That left eye is to busy so I have to wear contacts! lolo!

9. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 12 years ago

The Bates method is the one that was famous for trying to strengthen eyes but it was discredited. I figured it was worth a shot but it was too full of 'feel-good' attitude advice mixed in and I stopped. It did make a difference doing the exercises though I didn't do them regularly or keep it up for long. (It was a library book). I talked to an eye doctor about exercises and pinhole glasses and he laughed it all off as nonsense (so there may be something to it!)

There may be truth in thinking we didn't need acuity as much before and we correct for it now when it wasn't previously necessary. Also it's likely true that genetically it's no longer such a survival issue AND it's correctible so it's not culled out. I hate having poor eyesight.

Hi TLMinut, I agree with you about hating poor eyesight! I detest spectacles and contacts are dam nuisance at times! If I was much younger - I'm 49 now - I would have gone for laser surgery, but it wasn't available way back in my swinging days.

I'm glad you mentioned about the eye exercises coming from a book. I was sure I had seen something similar many years ago, but couldn't remember what the book was or the author. They claimed that doing these exercises would end in not having to wear glasses at all. I was sceptical at the time and then I forgot all about the book, so I never got a chance to prove or disprove the book's claims.

'laughing it all of as nonsense' is the typical response by some 'experts' to things they feel are  a threat to their knowledge and standing -  I'm more impressed with experts who stand their ground and can dispute why such and such is nonsense by using their own experience and knowledge.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)