jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the health benefits of doing Pilates?

1. Vellur profile image90
    Vellurposted 5 years ago

What are the health benefits of doing Pilates?

2. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

I tried it only once...maybe it is not my style..anyway, it should give you flexibility and muscle tone...

3. Caitlin Pyle profile image83
    Caitlin Pyleposted 5 years ago

I am a personal trainer and I love doing Pilates. You could do squats and lunges and crunches all day long but the way your muscles are worked during a Pilates workout totally trumps the traditional gym style workout. You work all of your stabilizing muscles in Pilates-- the hips, inner/outer thighs, glutes, core/abs, and lower back are the main muscle groups that are targeted. They are called the Powerhouse. It is important to work these muscles groups, and not just the big ones like the quads, hamstrings, etc, because the stabilizing muscle groups are the ones that help us maintain balance, posture, stability, and stamina as we age. It also aids in flexibility. If you incorporate Pilates into your weekly routine, say 2-3 times per week, and continue with it, you will feel more grounded and stronger in a way that can't be duplicated by traditional strength training. Enjoy!

4. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 5 years ago

Pilates are amazing.  You can do them without putting pressure on joints.  The key is a good teacher that gives specific directions and corrects your positions occasionally. Don't be embarrassed it you get corrected, that is what keeps from hurting yourself.

5. jaswinder64 profile image61
    jaswinder64posted 5 years ago

I don't know the health benefits of doing Pilates, because I never tried pilates.

As Caitling Pyle explained benefits briefly, may be I can try.

working