jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What is the best way to make your ears pop when taking off and landing by plane?

1. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to make your ears pop when taking off and landing by plane?

2. profile image0
    mikeydcarroll67posted 5 years ago

Close off your nostrils, keep your mouth closed and try to breathe through the nose. It seems to work for me.

3. katyrosh profile image55
    katyroshposted 5 years ago

Plug your nose with your hands and act like your blowing your nose. Sometimes that helps. You could also try chewing gum on the airplane. That keeps your mouth opening and keeps your ears popping.

4. CrisSp profile image84
    CrisSpposted 5 years ago

During descent, pressure in the cabin increases rapidly. If the tube that connects the nose and the ear is blocked because of a cold, allergies or sinus problems, it’s difficult to balance the pressure.

Ask the FAs to get you a hot cup, nicely though please and ask ahead of time because much as your FA's are there to help you with that, safety is their primary concern and there are things that they can't do while doing their safety and security checks with the passengers. So, don't be upset. As well, once you hear from the Flight Deck: "Flight Attendants be seated for Take Off/Landing". They must go sit and buckle up. So, again request ahead of time.

Anyhow, back to the topic. Hot cups will help. Hot cups are Styrofoam coffee cups with a paper towel in the bottom and a small amount of very hot water poured into the cup. Hold the cups over your ears. The steam will help the pressure stabilize and ease the pain.

Happy flying!

5. Donna Suthard profile image74
    Donna Suthardposted 5 years ago

Its a good idea, also to chew candy in your mouth to relieve the pressure, and to open your mouth as if you were yawning...

6. Rain Defence profile image94
    Rain Defenceposted 5 years ago

Keep swallowing constantly. It helps when diving too.

7. Twilight Lawns profile image83
    Twilight Lawnsposted 5 years ago

Hold you nose and blow hard,  You may end up splattering the persons on either side of you with bits of brain and prawns in aspic (That's what i had last when i flew AirItalia) but it clears your eardrums a treat.

8. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

Chewing gum works for me on take off and landing. In fact that is the only time I chew gum. I could never understand how some people can chew the same piece of gum for hours. However the chewing and breathing at the same time seems to keep my ears clear and I do have a lot of sinus trouble, so there must be something to it.

9. Jester98 profile image70
    Jester98posted 5 years ago

Yeah chewing gum is  your best bet. I occasionally do the hold nose and blow hard, but the last time I did that something was tweaked in my ear, so prob not the safest thing to do.