jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it even possible for an alcoholic to quit drinking completely without AA or r

1. slackermom profile image76
    slackermomposted 5 years ago

Is it even possible for an alcoholic to quit drinking completely without AA or rehab?

2. Gabriel Wilson profile image94
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 5 years ago

I really think it depends on the person and their individual will power and the reason why they've decided to deal with their problem in the first place.
    I have a friend who is an alcoholic; he didn't attend meetings or rehab. He threw himself into his work and so far three years later he's doing ok.
    He told me he woke up one morning outside his front door. He decided then and there to stop drinking.
    Personally I think AA or rehab are good support mechanisms and that is very important when a person quits drinking. I would encourage anyone who suffers from addictions to seek help within a secure set up or group. Stopping is one thing; not starting is another. I also think finding the root of the problem for some people is equally as important as stopping.
    When we face difficult times in our lives we need all the support we can get.

3. Catzgendron profile image72
    Catzgendronposted 5 years ago

Yes I've seen it with my own eyes. My older brother had struggled with addictive / dependency issues for most of his adult life and when push finally came to shove, he quit cold turkey, no AA and has been clean and sober approx. 8 years.

4. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

absolutely. it will be a hard road to follow but anyone can quit if they really want to. people claim that addiction is a mental health issue and i say b.s. to that. it's an excuse people use because it's easier then fighting the addiction itself.

working