Tell me your thoughts; can recovering alcoholics truly stay sober?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Genevieve Cooley profile image62
    Genevieve Cooleyposted 8 years ago

Tell me your thoughts; can recovering alcoholics truly stay sober?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12640822_f260.jpg

2. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 8 years ago

It depends on the individual but I think if the person really wanted to give up alcohol for life they can stay sober. I have a colleague who told me that she used to drink heavily and then one day she gave it up as sometimes she finds it hard to get up in the mornings when she goes to work and also her Mother told her something that kind of woke her up or shook her that she was determined to give it up altogether and up to now she is sober, so I think it is possible to stay sober but I think you need strong will to do it. Nothing is impossible.

1. Genevieve Cooley profile image62
      Genevieve Cooleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely agree with you, as a recovering alcoholic myself I had to make that decision that alcohol = poison to me. It had destroyed my life in so many ways. As well as hurting those I love so deeply!!! Well said!!!

3. passionatelearnr profile image85
    passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

Ofcourse.anything can be achieved if you are determined.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

My late father gave up drinking and was sober for the rest of his life

5. Larry Fields profile image69
    Larry Fieldsposted 8 years ago

Conventional wisdom has it that once you become an alcoholic, you are an alcoholic for life. However you can choose your type of alcoholism: active alcoholic, or recovering alcoholic.
    An alcoholic acquaintance tells me that even in the recovery mode, powerful cravings can come, seemingly out of the blue. However there is always a reason, even though that reason may not be apparent at the time.

I think that there's more to recovery than willpower. It would be very helpful to identify one's triggers, and then to avoid them, like the plague. Obvious example: hanging out with one's former drinking buddies. Instead, make new friends, who are high on Life.

You will discover other triggers on your own. You may also discover healthful things that decrease alcohol cravings.

6. Doug Cutler profile image67
    Doug Cutlerposted 8 years ago

I quit cigarettes in 1975. Started in 1966, when 19. Wife smoked too. Quit together and didn't go back. Nicotine is documented as the hardest substance known to quit doing. Alcohol is easier to give up. I drank for a while two different periods in my life. It is much easier than cigarettes to give up.

Glen Beck, of the Glen Beck show, gave up drinking and such years ago.
    Unless someone else has proof of something else being harder than cigarettes I will say alcohol is easier. Easier than some of the other substances, I don't know.

7. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 8 years ago

I know several people in my family that have given up smoking or drinking. They've been free of those substamces for decades. So, yes, its possible. I also don't adhere to the label "alcoholic". I don't think abstinence is a solution for everyone or that consuming alcohol will always be a problem for someone. I think for many its a problem of will, self control, and their emotional well-being. Not necessarily the alcohol.

8. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Jennifer.....Welcome to Hubpages.  You don't say how long you have been a recovering alcoholic, but Congratulations on taking that step and welcome to the world of sobriety 24/7.   If you'll excuse me and my perspectives on so much in life, I despise "labels" of any sort.    Although I jokingly refer to myself as a recovering Catholic of 40 years, I would prefer to think of you and others who have quit drinking as "formerly addicted."

I don't believe there is a person living who is not a bit "addicted" to something....food, gambling, shopping, drugs, sex, Video games.....this list can be endless.  Wouldn't you agree?   Certainly some are more harmful and/or damaging than others, but they all have their price to pay unless and until we defeat them.

Please know that you can do anything you have made a vow to do.  You have the will, support and strength.  Believe in yourself and the love of your family.  Now that you have joined the HP "Family," I can promise you, you have just become a member of a Community of the most awesome, loving, helpful & giving people in the world.  Not just fluffy words, Jennifer....this is fact.   The best part is that you will experience this for yourself.

Please share your feelings with us by writing your first hub.  We look forward to your contributions......Peace, Paula

1. Doug Cutler profile image67
      Doug Cutlerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The new addiction for many is the internet and hand held devices. Researchers say people use them and get highs similar to drug highs and lows when they are away. I have a desk top and don't think I am addicted to anything. Safe but boring lifestyle.

9. Morgan Anthony profile image61
    Morgan Anthonyposted 8 years ago

YES!!

Just like many physical ailments can be cured, so can mental ones. I never understood why people don't understand that.

To stay sober though, you really need to dig as deep as you possibly can. The moment you discover the most bruised, damaged part of yourself, you will understand why your Mind has been using the drink to escape.

I personally encourage natural plant medicines.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)