jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have you ever been literally terrified for your life?

1. TheLifeExperiment profile image58
    TheLifeExperimentposted 6 years ago

Have you ever been literally terrified for your life?

Most people, at least around the states, haven't had an experience where they've been extremely scared for their life. Have you?

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Yes, but thankfully it was short-lived -- and I think most people who work around horses very long might have similar tales. The first time was when a 16h mare with a bad attitude decided to stomp my head into the ground, I was quite terrified for the first couple of times her hooves hit and then I lost consciousness. I'm still not sure how my skull managed to not collapse.

The second time was with my pride-cut Mustang who was terrified of dogs. After a run-in with the neighbor's dog during which he behaved admirably, we were on our way home and the wind blew in his ears just right and he thought the dog was after him. He took the bit in a blind panic and charged headlong through trees and over broken ground. I lost my composure only when I saw the barbed wire fence ahead of us and he showed no signs of turning or slowing. Barbed wire has a bad habit of decapitating charging horses, and it doesn't bode well for the rider that gets tangled up in the mess.

The only other time was human-induced, but as soon as I was able to get up and walk I got away and never went back home.

I certainly can't relate to the kind of fear that comes from knowing that a bomb could go off near you or you could get caught in a crossfire while walking down the street. Imagination can't stretch to what people in those situations suffer, and I am eternally grateful that I live in a small, quiet town where such things only exist in the news.

3. Escobana profile image72
    Escobanaposted 6 years ago

Terriffied of my own my life more than once. It came with finding out that I was Bipolar, losing control and not being able to see right from wrong anymore.

When I was diagnosed at the age of 23, I still didn't know what to do when I lost control. How to prevend that from happening.

It's terrifying when you see yourself doing horrible things, risking your life, ruining the lives of others and not knowing how to stop that from happening.

Luckily I learned how to prevend this from happening after I received good treatment for years. The fear of losing it again completely vanished from my life and I'm very happy with the life I live right now.

4. Faith Reaper profile image88
    Faith Reaperposted 6 years ago

Yes, when i was maybe around the age of a pre-teen or maybe in my teens, I was sitting on the couch just watching "I Dream of Jeannie," and whoooshh came the sound, about a fraction of an inch or closer to my head, of a thick glass bottle (as that is what it came in back then--thick glass) of Heinz Ketchup, then it shattered against the wall, with all the ketchup looking like blood at a crime scene.  Which that would have been the case, a crime scene, had it actually hit my head, for I would be very much dead.  I assume that I must have made some type of face, as my dad, an alcoholic who also suffered with PTSD, was at the dinner table eating dinner, and something I did, obviously, made him enraged in his own mind, and he picked up that thick glass bottle of Heinz Ketchup and threw it directly at my head.  I was just in shock and in such great fear for my life, I ran into my room, and my poor, sweet mother came in to comfort me and to see if I was alright - NO, and then my dad followed-up with coming into my bedroom and throwing my dinner plate on top of me and made some type of comment, that I must have blocked out.  I am so sorry for the graphic depiction. So, yes, that was a time when I was terrified for my life.  I am healed from that experience, and have forgiven my dad, as he had PTSD, and never had gotten any help with the terrible disease of addiction.  One thing I do know without a doubt, the Lord had sent an angel right at that split second for that bottle to have missed my head by that fraction of an inch.  Praise Him!  So great, so great, is His faithfulness.  In His Love, Faith Reaper

working