Dear Christians, if you desire to obey Jesus, have you ever been accused of bein

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. MissMelissaK profile image81
    MissMelissaKposted 10 years ago

Dear Christians, if you desire to obey Jesus, have you ever been accused of being self-righteous?

I find this more and more that if you stand up for what is right, people will knock you down and your called self-righteous.On the other hand, if you sin with no remorse and no need to repent, you're considered quite normal.  Isn't that twisted? So if you stand up for your convictions, you'll be accused of being self-righteous and I dare say a Pharisee but the guy next to you who hit up some girl in the bar and knocked her up is considered the true Christian because he knows he's nothing but a sinner. So did I WASTE years thinking it was important to obey? Should I follow Joe Schmoe's example?

2. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 10 years ago

Hi there,
    I don't think the question about being called self-righteous should matter because people are gonna call you what they feel they should. The question, in my opinion, should be what will we answer to.  When we sin, we should be humble enough to accept the fact that we were wrong and disobeyed.  We should challenge ourselves to figure out why we gave in so easily and determine the work we have to do to make a change so that we do not succumb to sin.

1. profile image0
      Dave36posted 10 years agoin reply to this

A good point you make Renee, about challenging ourselves etc..Everyone who's ever lived made 100's maybe even 1000's of mistakes in their lives, but only the one's who learn from them get on well in life..Mistakes are normal, but repeating them isn't

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I'd ignore whatever names the person threw my way. Ultimately, I only have one person to answer to and that is God. I'd rather be called self-righteous or anything else by the people who don't like me, than to have to stand before God and explain why I didn't follow his commandments.

4. MikaMadKitty profile image57
    MikaMadKittyposted 10 years ago

Hello MissMelissaK,

To answer your question, some people tend to mock others because they feel like they are being judged. No one likes to be judged especially from another human being who is supposed to be on the same level of sinning as they are. When someone stands up for what they believe in, there will always be people who will try to bring you down or make you be silent. Perhaps you are preaching in a way that looks like you are judging them instead of loving them. If you are standing up for what you believe in, do it not just because it is right, but because you care. To quote a famous verse, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal." (1 Corinthians 13:1)

To make a connection, I've once seen a man stand on the sidewalk of a busy street of a city. He continuously yelled the gospel at all who passed by. Not one person stopped to listen. I actually saw one person walk up to him and started yelling back at him and persecuting him. I bet that man did not win any hearts that day. We are here to win hearts just as God is every day.

You should read 1 Corinthians 9:19-23. Paul gives us a helping hand on how to share the gospel or what you believe in. He blended in with whom he was talking to, though he did not take part in any sins. In a way, he was accepted and as such, those around him were open to listen to his words.

One last thing, when people try to bring you down, don't take it to heart, for there will always be people who will mock you and that is just evil's way of trying to make you stop. Hold fast and trust in Jesus.

MissMelissaKposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  That was very good advice.  You're very wise.

2. profile image0

When people try to bring me down all i do is see it as practice for me, practice to see if i let what they say bother me..After 6/7 months practice controlling my emotions/feelings, nothing anyone can say will faze me.

5. Bk42author profile image94
    Bk42authorposted 10 years ago

I don't believe that makes a person self-righteous at all. I consider a person to be acting self-righteous when they act as if they are better than the other person or turn their nose up at them. For example, I have a relative who is very religious and doesn't believe unmarried people should live together. Fine. However, she'll refer to the woman as a "slut," say all kinds of nasty things about the couple, be very cold when interacting with them, etc. Umm...did Jesus treat people that way? Speaking up for what you believe...whatever you believe...is a right that everyone has. If people are coming across to you in that way, by calling you self-righteous and you're treating them with the respect that everyone deserves then they're just projecting their own insecurities on to you. That's just my opinion. smile

That's true and you made a good point.

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 10 years ago

Many call believers self righteous because they have no idea about it all.  Others do it simply to mock and poke fun at believers. 

About wasting your time, no your time was not wasted.  The Bible says, "To obey is better than sacrifice."  Jesus followed for 30 years before His ministry began.

I am reminded of a quote I once read, "A great leader comes forth from a great follower."  Don't recall who quoted it.  The point is, how can you lead someone when you haven't been down that road before?  Jesus went down that road and knows how to get us to the right destination.

Jesus is the righteousness of God and we must put on His righteousness.  Without holiness, no man shall see God.

Very well said.  Thank you so much.

7. profile image0
    Dave36posted 10 years ago

The way i look at it mate is that most "normal" people around today are far from normal, which is easily proven just by seeing what they want to talk to you about..Probably rubbish off the T.V or some Celeb crap etc!lol..So if most people think your not "normal" then well done to you, as you must be doing something right..Your right about it being twisted, & the whole world is twisted..This year the football world cup is on in Brazil, & their probably spending 30/40 billion on it..Kids are starving every where, but their spending 30/40 billion on football..So conclusive prove if we did need it, that the world & the people in it are not "normal"..I bet there's something inside you that wants to do the good/right thing all the time, & i bet you get frustrated because most people don't want to do it themselves..Also it's hard to keep being good to people that we think don't deserve it etc, but we have to because we're doing it for ourselves..You know who you are because of your standards & morals etc, but what about the people you know?, & how would you describe them?..Take for example the rich guy that's conned & cheated & lied his way to a fortune of 100 million dollars, does he really know deep down who he is like you or i would do?..Or has he not got a clue who he is, because he can't define himself as he's got zero standards or morals..I would just say that if a person was always doing the good/right thing because their obeying the bible, i would say their wasting their time..If on the other hand they was doing the good/right thing because they wanted to, then that would be the way to go in my opinion.."Forgive them for they know not what they do", & "Judging others is only judging ourselves" are 2 of the very few passages i know from the bible, & i spent a couple of weeks thinking about those 2 passages..They speak of peoples ego minds, & that's what's responsible for all the wrong doing in the world today..So basically "normal" people don't know any better, & their mostly brainwashed by governments/media & celebs etc.

Interesting way to look at things.  Thanks.  Imagine Mother's Day.  You have two people seated in front of you.  One obeyed the Lord and tried to do the right thing ended up with no family.  The one who sinned blatantly got the wife and baby. Why?

2. profile image0

Well the one who sinned blatantly is obviously operating from his ego mind only, & whatever he's got isn't what he really wants/needs in life..The one who always tries to do the right/good thing, will eventually get what they really need/want.

3. MissMelissaK profile image81

That was an excellent answer.  Thank you Dave36.  And the irony is I remember this person saying "I hate kids!"  Go figure God keeps giving him more. wink  Meanwhile many desperately can't have them.  I believe God has a plan and I must trust him.

4. profile image0

I wonder if the guy who "knocked" the girl up he met at a bar really loves her, or has he made a mistake he'l/she'l regret?.The thing you've got to remember about people is they can't handle the truth, never if it's about them.So don't tell them!lol

8. TJenkins602 profile image60
    TJenkins602posted 9 years ago

I don't think I have been called "self righteous" in those words, but I have had people (other Christians) imply that I was. However, I make it clear that I am nothing without Christ. However, lately, I've been feeling led to bless others. One of the reasons I try to help others is because it gives me peace.

Now, since I've been more active in trying to help others, there has been a little more opposition from other believers. However, they are a little passive aggressive. They act like they are okay with me, but I can sense some kind of tension. I try to make it so they know that I do not see myself as better than them. They talk about this joy and peace that they experience, but I never experience that unless I am doing something for others.

When you try to follow Christ, you will find opposition from all sides.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)