jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is it normal to feel like I'm starving to death in the first few days of new die

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Is it normal to feel like I'm starving to death in the first few days of new diet?

Low carb low calorie, 4 small meals a day. plus crunches and push ups for 3 days now. I haven't stopped feeling hungry yet. Is this a normal part of dieting. I have never dieted before so am clueless. I'm also in a really bad mood which is very out of character.

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

No, it is not normal. No diet should leave you hungry. It is not satisfying and you will not be successful if you are hungry. You need to find something to satisfy the hunger.

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

your blood sugar is probably low.  Rather than do no carbs or drastically reducing carbs, you may need to add in some complex whole grain carbs.  Oat bran or steel cut oatmeal is a good one for grains or eat some fresh raw fruit.  Also, are you getting enough calories?  Not eating enough is just as bad as eating too many as it can cause your metabolism to slow down, which will stall weight loss.  Another thing to consider is are you thirsty? Are you drinking enough water? If not that can often mimic the feeling of hunger. 

If you are feeling hungry , no that isn't normal.  If it's "cravings" yes that is normal and it will start to subside. 

I would suggest to you to use websites like sparkpeople or calorie count.  They have free tools, forums, articles, you can plan your meals, count your calories, track your progress.  These were invaluable to me when I lost weight.

4. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

Wow..Just for starting a diet and exercise regimen, you ought to be congratulated.. Hunger can be for anything...Feeling "hungry" can be as simple as hunger (an emotional response) for some foods that you are used to eating..in which case I would term it craving..
    The bad mood is not necessarily related to the diet..it is your mind's way of reacting to change..

5. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Sounds like you're overdoing it, big time. Please check out my hub, "Is there one right way to eat?" for a more balanced, saner approach that will not leave you hungry.

6. rmcleve profile image80
    rmcleveposted 5 years ago

I know it is tricky to get used to a new way of eating and the first few days make or break the new plan.

It is never good to feel that hungry! The best way to supplement a new meal plan when you start feeling hungry is to increase the portion of fruits and veggies you eat. Add squash, garlic, carrots, bok choy, or whatever other vegetables make you hungry and bulk up those meals! Any diet that penalizes eating fruits and vegetables is not a healthy recipe.

It will make you feel much better, and your body needs those nutrients!

Good luck!

7. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Dieting is never about eating less but knowing the daily intake of calories.

You can be eating the right amount of portion without feeling hungry. There are lots of products that are low in calories and can make you full. As you are doing crunches and push ups, you should be replenishing yourself with proteins and amino acid to build up your tissues and muscles.