jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If someone was depressed as a youngster, are they more likely to become depresse

1. Loi-Renee profile image86
    Loi-Reneeposted 5 years ago

If someone was depressed as a youngster, are they more likely to become depressed as adults?

2. nishlaverz profile image60
    nishlaverzposted 5 years ago

I would say yes.

I suffered with depression as a teenager and still do now as a 30 year old.

3. Cardisa profile image93
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

Yes. It would be up to the adult to realize that they are likely to be depressed and take measures not to allow it it to happen. Such measure would be finding out what caused the depression in the first place and resolving it, learning to love yourself and bring about a more joyful you. Using self improvement and confidence techniques to prevent the feeling of self loathing and hopelessness that usually comes with depression.

4. Amber Morris profile image60
    Amber Morrisposted 5 years ago

I was started on an antidepressant when I was 11, and have suffered with chronic severe mental illness in most of my adult life. Bipolar Disorder is hereditary on my mother's side of the family, and I just happened to get it. Everyone is different though!

5. alexarpoe profile image60
    alexarpoeposted 5 years ago

Most likely, but not always. Depression can be caused by environmental factors as well as by genetics, so there are so many factors that would need to be evaluated to determine this.

Personally, I had my first depressive episode at ages 12 and 13, and I have grown to be diagnosed with dysthymia. I think statistically (though don't quote me on this), it is highly likely that a depressed child will become depressed as an adult.