jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you believe that children from large families are more likely to be bullies?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

Do you believe that children from large families are more likely to be bullies?

2. kaltopsyd profile image80
    kaltopsydposted 7 years ago

No I don't think it's the size of the family as much as the morals and the social behaviour of the family that the child is exposed to. If the large family is hostile and tend to leave issues unresolved then the child is more likely to become a bully. If relationships are detached in the family, and interactions are relatively cold then the child also is more likely to become bullies.
    In a way, the larger the family, the more of these sort of things occur (detached interactions, unresolved issues, etc...) So, in a way, that may be true. On the other hand, a large family can mean more social support and more love. Therefore it can foster a more loving, cooperative child. It all depends on the TYPE of family.

3. Seakay profile image60
    Seakayposted 7 years ago

I think they would be less likely to become bullies.  When you grow up with many siblings, you watch out for one another.  Also, the oldest would be more protective of the younger.  It's like a chain of command.  I know with my brothers, they would be the first to jump in and stop any bullying, not cause it.

4. zzron profile image56
    zzronposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/3355311_f260.jpg

No, I believe it has to do with the way a child is raised, his environment, the way he is treated and the things he has been taught at an early age. Size of family doesn't matter.

5. kookoo88 profile image60
    kookoo88posted 7 years ago

I'm from a family of 7 and I'm going to kick your butt . . . big_smile  No.  Not really.  smile 

There are a lot of factors I believe.  Parenting is a big one.  A lot of the bullies I know were kids whose parents abused them and called them name.  Alcoholic parents often raise bullies.

The society a person lives in can contribute.  If the other kids at school are bullies, a person can be more susceptable.  Peer pressure is a large influence as well.

Another thing is individual personality.  A person raised well can still be a bully, where others in the worst situations like above can become wonderful philanthropists who make the world better.

6. thejeffriestube profile image75
    thejeffriestubeposted 6 years ago

No, I do not think so. I think is has to do with the environment the child grows up in, and whether or not parents condone that behavior at home. Bullies can come from all walks of life, and some reamin that way into adulthood. Eventually, every bully gets what's coming to them, I believe.

working