jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does your health insurance company cover preventive services?

1. LauraGT profile image93
    LauraGTposted 5 years ago

Does your health insurance company cover preventive services?

Some insurance companies cover more services than others. Does your health insurance cover services (like physical therapy, gym memberships, smoking cessation, etc.) that could help save health care costs down the road?  What has your experience been like trying to get these services covered?

2. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 5 years ago

Yes, an annual checkup with the Dr. is covered 100%.  No problem getting it covered.  Coverage is automatic.  Any blood work that the Dr. requests is treated as a normal claim, so I have to pay my portion of it.

These annual checkups are useful for making adjustments to diet and lifestyle that could prevent future health problems.

3. teamrn profile image69
    teamrnposted 5 years ago

My health insurance covers physical therapy and other therapies provided under a physician's license. For example, physical therapists are covered by a physiatrist and they also have their own licensing board, practice laws. Accupuncture, when done by a licensed physician is covered; where Mr. Chan on the corner is not. Go figure.

I think my insurance covers a portion of smoking cessation program if the doc is willing to write a script, saying that it's medically necessary. Things like mammograms and gyne exams and yearly physical are covered. But if my doc decides to go hog wild and order a mammogram twice a year...There's only so often insurance companies will pay for something. THEY HAVE THEIR RULES, TOO.

I tried to get the cost of a personal trainer covered because I'v got a bad health history and it would be less expensive to pay him than to pay for time in the hospital. NO GO. But, I was able to deduct his services from my taxable income as long as I had my doctor's script. This was good news from my accountant.

4. Pamela99 profile image88
    Pamela99posted 5 years ago

My insurance covers physical therapy, mammograms, pap smears and several other tests without any co-pays from me. It doesn't cover gym memberships, which my last insurance did, but then I had co-pays.