This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Is poison ivy contagious?

1. Tridos profile image70
    Tridosposted 6 years ago

Is poison ivy contagious?

Last week I was outside working and noticed what I thought was bug bites. This whole week my asthma has been bad, allergies etc. at work I happened to scratch my arm and one of my co workers remarked that I had poison ivy. I have never had it so I had no idea. I have been constantly scratching it and rubbing my eyes. Can it spread? How do you treat it?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

No, it is not contagious, but yes it can spread. The rash is not spread by human contact. The poison ivy rash is caused by the oil in the plant, not by the fluid from the vesicles caused by the poison ivy. You can spread the oil from the plant to other parts of your body by touching your skin with your hands or touching your skin after touching clothing with the plant oil on it, but you cannot spread a poison ivy reaction to another person.

working