jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it true that you can get poison ivy oils from touching an animal that contac

1. flacoinohio profile image80
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

Is it  true that you can get poison ivy oils from touching an animal that contacted the plant?

I discovered an itchy rash on my leg that began as a single bump.  I thought it was an insect bite at fiorst and treated it by applying rubbing alcohol to it.  The bump dried out after a day or two, but them I stated getting more of them.  I have a cat that goes in and out of the house who is a bit neurotic, she will only allow you to touch her with your feet or will only rub on a foot.  She was rubbing on my feet the day before I started to have rash symptoms, this has happened everytime she rubs on my feet.

2. Glasso profile image60
    Glassoposted 5 years ago

There is always a possibility. If animal retained some fluids from poison ivy, especially furry pets. Their skin has an ability to retain some oils due to their fur structure.

3. Cyndi10 profile image88
    Cyndi10posted 5 years ago

Yes, you can. The oil from the poison ivy plant can remain on the animal's fur. When you rub it or the pet rubs against you, it's as if you are touching the plant. If you are allergic to the plant (as most people are), then you will end up itchy and uncomfortable.

4. artist101 profile image70
    artist101posted 5 years ago

Yes you can catch poison ivy from an animal, as well as any object that has come in contact with the oil. Animals can carry on their fur, without it effecting them. Urushiol remains active, up to a six months, even on in animate objects as well. Such as lawn mowers, sports equipment, weed wackers, anything that has come into contact with the oil.
    I have written an article on skin conditions, such as poison ivy. http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/Natur … -Psoriasis It contains home remedies for use in the case of poison ivy.
    With a severe case, it is best to see your physician, oral prednisone may be the only option, dependant upon the severity of the condition.
    Leaves of three, let it be.

5. samnashy profile image81
    samnashyposted 5 years ago

Yes you can and from any clothes or tools that have come into contact with the Urusha oil that causes the nasty rash.  I have written a hub on this, but before you read that pop into your local pharmacy / drugstore to get something that will relive the symptoms.  Good  luck.