jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can people with cancer give blood?

1. Pamela N Red profile image85
    Pamela N Redposted 5 years ago

Can people with cancer give blood?

I am reading a book about a woman with leukemia and just wondered if people with cancer are allowed to give blood.

2. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 5 years ago

I give blood regularly and I seem to remember something in the required reading literature they give you on each visit that questions whether you have had cancer and been treated.  I don't know if it is the cancer cells or the treatment that is the problem but I think there are some restrictions associated with cancer. WB

3. kj force profile image71
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

There are guideline standards regarding donation of blood..cancer patients are not exempt from these, as many others. There are various stages and types of cancer and depending when you rec'd chemo or other treatments, are taken into consideration, usually you must be at least one year from treatment ,before considered for donation. Good idea to check with your healthcare provider.

4. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Pamela......People with cancer presently or in the past, cannot give blood, any more than people who have various other life-threatening diseases.  Blood is the vehicle by which diseased cells travel and migrate to all other organs and areas of the body.  "Blood" is the cause of and reason for    malignant metasteses.

5. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

Normally it depends on the type of cancer and whether or not it has spread out to the bloodstream.