jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What Are The Best Ways To Treat A Sunburn?

1. PhoenixV profile image68
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

What Are The Best Ways To Treat A Sunburn?

Are there any inexpensive home remedies for sun burn?

2. Amber Morris profile image59
    Amber Morrisposted 5 years ago

ALOE VERA! If you buy something for sunburns at a drugstore, make sure it has aloe vera in it. I'm from the Tampa Bay area in FL and aloe plants were rampant there. We would just use those so I'm sure something specifically for sunburns that also has aloe vera in it will definitely ease up the pain. I don't know of any way to make it go away faster, just to relieve the symptoms of it.

3. Silva Hayes profile image89
    Silva Hayesposted 5 years ago

I agree with Amber; aloe vera.  I have a patch in the back yard.  What we do is:  cut off an outer leaf from the plant, trim down both edges of the leaf and discard the edges.  Then split the leaf in half lengthwise and lay both halves, cut side toward the skin.  You can actually feel the heat drawn from your sunburned skin and into the aloe vera plant.  You can cut off a leaf and put it in the refrigerator in a baggie for a repeat application.  Ah - a cold aloe vera leaf against the burn - very soothing.

1. Amber Morris profile image59
      Amber Morrisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's been so long for me using the actual plant for sunburns instead of over the  counter stuff that is never nearly as good that I even forgot how to cut and split the plant! Thank you very much for this reminder.

4. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 5 years ago

If you don't have aloe vera, take a tea bag and nuke it to warm and then rub the tea bag over the sunburn. Its very soothing.

5. lawrence2012 profile image54
    lawrence2012posted 5 years ago

Aloe is the best natural treatments for sunburns.  Just be warned, if you are using store bought aloe, there is no problem.  However, if you are using fresh natural aloe, it really smells terrible.  I recently had a pretty nasty burn on my arm and proceeded to apply natural aloe.  The entire night I kept smelling some terrible BO that I eventually realized was the aloe on my arm.  Although natural aloe is most effective, you will likely need a nose plug to put up with the stench.

working