How often does the fear of dying affect you?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    rmcleveposted 12 years ago

How often does the fear of dying affect you?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

Only when driving in my car and experiencing the way some people drive!

1. afriqnet profile image65
      afriqnetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In Kenya I think Driving is fearsome than any other experience. Many people lose their lives due to irresponsible driving we have numerous campaigns to change this behavior and possible curb the road carnage.

3. Sirus Hunt profile image53
    Sirus Huntposted 12 years ago

If you mean the fear of death and its inevitability, I feared it  most when I was Christian ironically, and I fear it much less now as an Atheist. I guess the void sounds much more blissful to me than an afterlife.

1. profile image0
      rmcleveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can definitely understand that. Neither perspectives have given me much peace, but I'm glad that you've found a good way of looking at it. Personally, agnosticism has helped me the most (but it took the longest to cope with).

4. teaches12345 profile image75
    teaches12345posted 12 years ago

Like everyone else, I think about it as I hear of it, but not in fear.  We were born into this earth and at some point will have to depart.  Hopefully, in a natural way!  However, Being a Christian, I do believe man is immortal and that our earthly death does not end who we really are.  Many choose to believe differently, but in the end it will all be revealed.

1. profile image0

I try to keep a very simple, natural perspective and remember that we all came from the earth and must all return. Thanks for sharing!

5. Eric Calderwood profile image77
    Eric Calderwoodposted 12 years ago

It used to affect me a lot more than it does now.  Now that I'm older and have experienced life, my perspective is different.  Of course, I don't think that I could face death without my personal faith in Jesus Christ.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I think about it as I am now 60 and my parents died at age 53 and 49 - so it does cross my mind. I am not really afraid of death but not looking forward to it either as so often the end can be miserable as in cases of cancer etc.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We may be raptured out of here before we have to experience death. I'm almost 57 - close to your age.

2. profile image0

That's true. One of my friends used to attend Catholic school where the nuns would tell them, "Children, pray for a good death!" It couldn't hurt!

7. ananceleste profile image60
    anancelesteposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6594661_f260.jpg

This is very interesting question. By the time I was 17 I had my first heart attack and stroke. By the time I was 20, my kidneys and joints were almost caput.When I was diagnosed my lupus at 25, I was told by an idiot with a medical degree that I had at best 5 to ten years because of the damage to my heart, kidneys and brain. I was devastated. My kids were little and my husband was at odds with the news. I actually had to plan for when I die. Big mistake. When 2 years passed I decided to put that aside and enjoy my kids and try to live as if I had no expiration date. 

It has been 7 years and I am still here, unafraid and quite content. My kids are in high school, and all that praying and bargaining with God to let me see them grow paid up. I know it will come, but I am not wasting one minute thinking about it. I have more important things to do. LIVE !

1. profile image0

This is a beautiful story and you have been blessed with this wonderful family. I'm glad you're doing so much better! Thanks for sharing!

8. anam hasib profile image59
    anam hasibposted 12 years ago

it does to some extent..i think of dying n then i think of my parents n my gf n evry1 who loves me..n i feel bad for them.Further on there is some fear that i cant explain which horrifies me when i think of death,maybe that's what we call fear of death..big_smile.There is this religious side also where i think how could i be in heaven after sinning so much.So i want to live and do things the right way so that i can end up at the right place.

9. InCourage profile image61
    InCourageposted 12 years ago

I am not afraid of dying but I am afraid of leaving.  I am so afraid of missing something that my children might do or say.  I don't want to miss anything.  I don't want to not be there when they need a friend because sometimes the world can be very big and life can get terribly lonely... and as long as I am here that can't happen.  I don't want to leave my wife.  I want to be able to take a slow walk with her at the end of every day.  I want to ask her how's she's doing when I see the clouds on her brow.  I want to tell her that I love her just because it sounds nice in the quiet moments shared just between us.  Dying is not frightening but living in any condition without them is terrifying.

1. profile image0

That's a very interesting way of responding and I understand. Thank you for sharing with us.

10. MickeySr profile image77
    MickeySrposted 12 years ago

. . . it doesn't.

. . . and because red letters are telling me "Your answer is too short. Please make it longer." I will say, it really, really doesn't, honestly.

1. profile image0

That's good!

11. bhargvi sharma profile image36
    bhargvi sharmaposted 12 years ago

I don't ever experienced the fear of dying i enjoy my life & live every moment of my life as i prefer adding life to the days i live on this earth rather than putting days into my life...  big_smile

12. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

I'm not "afraid of dying," it happens to all of us.  What concerns me (as opposed to fear) is of checking out before I finish the things I want to do.
    Any fear involves pain.  I would rather (as I'm sure most would...) drift off to sleep and not wake up.  I don't deal well with pain, and I don't want to go out that way.
    Like the Kenny Rogers song, "The Gambler" says:  "The best you can hope for is to die in your sleep."

1. profile image0

I think if we all lived a little bit more like we wanted to take advantage of this precious opportunity we would have fewer checklist items! Let's just do it!

Thanks for sharing! smile

13. Vegas Elias profile image60
    Vegas Eliasposted 12 years ago

I don't think the fear of dying can last very long. The more you think about death the more you find the fear of death to be futile because there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent death. Once this point drives down into our conscience and sub-conscience death becomes an acceptable future event and the fear reduces if not completely vanishes. I used to fear death in my childhood but now that I am old I do not fear it.

1. profile image0

I'm glad that you were able to handle the fear of death. Your logic does work here and I agree. The more time I spend inside my fear and thinking about it, the more I realize it doesn't matter what I think. Thanks for sharing.

14. afriqnet profile image65
    afriqnetposted 12 years ago

Over the years I have learn not to fear death but sometimes I get to fear death when I see people shot or in accidents but of late I have become immune

15. Pandapocalypse profile image70
    Pandapocalypseposted 12 years ago

To me I think the fear of death is really the fear of departing from our friends and loved ones.  In this case knowing that these people will be okay in your absence can really help you cope with leaving.

As a kid I was terrified of dying, to the point of frequent tears.  As I've gotten older I find that I'm more okay with the mysterious and unknown, so that's helped a lot.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)