jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

C-section anxiety and fear

1. profile image50
    ruthp6posted 5 years ago

C-section anxiety and fear

I am having a spinal block for a c section. Nevee had a surgical procedure and terrified hardly sums up my fears. I am concerned about meningitis, not being able to breathe, the lower portion of my back is very sensative and I am deathly afraid of getting a spinal. I know thar I will be numbed before the actual injection, but it hardly seems enough. Will Emla cream stop the pinch of the needle? One last thing, I know that much is off limits because of baby, but is there any sedative that I can have before I waddle to the OR? So very nervous!!!!!

2. libby1970 profile image72
    libby1970posted 5 years ago

Yes they can give you a sedative. Just ask for one! It's rare for anything to go wrong. One thing I would tell you to do is ask the anesthesiologist what his background is, how many times has he done this procedure, and if he's ever had things go wrong! Most of the time they will give you their real statistics and let you know what your chances are of the good, bad, and the ugly!

Put your mind at ease though, this is done quite often and it's extremely rare for anything to happen! It's the same odds as winning the lottery...

Good luck and congrats on your new upcoming arrival! Babies are a blessing!

3. TahoeDoc profile image94
    TahoeDocposted 5 years ago

An anesthesiologist answers questions about fears before c-section with spinal anesthesia. Fear of the unknown, needles, complications and so on are very common. Serious problems with spinal anesthesia for cesarean section are rare, though. read more

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I've had two C-sections, one with a spinal and one with a general anesthesia.  The spinal was no painful.  Tell your anesthetist all of your fears and he/she will reassure you.

Also I had no problems with C-section recovery.  Didn't even need pain pills.  Just remember the more you get up and walk, the easier it is.  Take a pillow case and little folded blanket and make a cough pillow. If you have to cough, hold this tightly against your incision area and it supports you and makes it more comfortable to cough.

It will be fine.  I was scared too but it was fine.

working