jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What is the cause of urticaria? Is it better to be treated by medicines or by he

1. articlesocean profile image60
    articlesoceanposted 5 years ago

What is the cause of urticaria? Is it better to be treated by medicines or by herbal treatment?

2. Seeker7 profile image94
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

There are different grades of urticaria - acute urticaria can last from hours to about 6 weeks an is usually caused by some form of allergy, for example pet hairs, latex, foods. Bee and wasp stings as well as some viruses can also cause acute urticaria.

Chronic urticaria is more difficult to diagnose because it seems to be brought on by physical reactions within the body - similar to an auto immune disorder. Also, urticaria is triggered by parasites, and some illnesses such as thyroid disease.

If the urticaria is chronic then it's best to have it treated by a medical practioner. However, if it's acute and the symptoms are mild, then there are number of herbal creams, lotions etc. that do seem to be effective with many people. If you search online you will get quite a comprehensive list of medical therapies you can buy.  Hope this helps.

1. articlesocean profile image60
      articlesoceanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this useful information, i will research so that I find some medication to cure this allergy. I was told by a doctor that this type of allergy last for 6 weeks,but it has been 2 years and still suffering from it. Taking pills everyday.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Urticaria is just a medical term for hives. Hives are usually caused by an allergic reaction to something, medication or a food substance, insect bite, etc. Treatment depends on the cause, but it is important to avoid contact with the offending agent in the future and to be prepared should you have accidental contact. It is very important that you seek medical attention because the nature of allergic reactions is such that you can build up sensitivity and in the future could have an anaphylactic reaction which is a life-threatening emergency. Generally we treat hives with oral medication with reduces the allergic response. Topical treatments are not as effective.

working