jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

What causes the panicky sensation of falling--

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

What causes the panicky sensation of falling--

whether off a cliff, or over backwards in a chair, etc.--when one is just drifting off to sleep, and not yet truly dreaming?  It always brings you wide awake again.
    I've heard it said that it means your heart skipped a beat, but I doubt that...

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do not believe that it is a result of your heart skipping a beat. I used to work as a certified critical care nurse and have extensive knowledge and experience in cardiac care. I have never heard anyone describe that feeling as you have and the cause be skipped heart beats, nor have I read that in any professional literature. Could be - I just have never heard of it described that way. I have also had my own heart "skip a beat" and have not felt that particular sensation.

1. Anjili profile image83
      Anjiliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have only experienced this while fast asleep. It was quite frightening and often jolts me awake. A very unpleasant feeling

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hope you figure out what the cause is - perhaps you should see a physician about it. I'm sorry I don't have more information to share with you.

3. yssubramanyam profile image59
    yssubramanyamposted 5 years ago

certain feelings can not be expressed literally. the feeling of free fall  too gives same /similar feeling. excessive depression or over anxiety are likely to illusion your mind in waking state or sleeping state. i experienced similar topics in yahoo answers. i widely came across as a 5th level contributor. thanks for giving me an opportunity with a lovely hub.

4. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Being fear of height tends to bring in my dreams of falling and it feels like the heart pounding out of my body.

It is like the feeling I had when sitting in the roller-coaster or the viking. My heart suddenly dropped out as it sinks in.

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

When you are dreaming and you dream of a fall, or a slip, your body givesa you a shot of adrenaline.  This is what causes the panicked feeling, sometimes shortness of breath etc.  Stay calm and the adrenaline will dissipate.

6. Debra Dillon profile image76
    Debra Dillonposted 5 years ago

I have a hub about this if you would like t check it out smile

1. Debra Dillon profile image76
      Debra Dillonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Its a interesting hub about many other dreams too

7. Dee42 profile image78
    Dee42posted 5 years ago

It's called a Hyptnic jerk or something. It's like when your muscles relax, but your brain is telling your body ' hey, what's going on here? Are we falling? Hang on, grab on, quick!!'.   Coffee and and too much exercise sometimes brings it on.   

I'm glad I'm not a teacher cause that sounded a little crazy. Ha.

But the heart thing, don't know unless you tend to have panic attacks, that would really Rev up the o' ticker.

8. eugbug profile image99
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

It's called a hypnic jerk or night start and is a type of myclonic jerk experienced when drifting off to sleep as a result of sudden contraction and relaxation of muscles. The sensation is that of being startled or falling and can be caused by anxiety, excess caffeine consumption or strenuous activity before sleep.
    It is thought that the brain misinterprets the relaxation of muscles during onset of sleep and thinks that the body is falling and responds by suddenly contracting them.

Closed to reply

working