jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Has your blood type changed?

1. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

Has your blood type changed?

I wrote a hub about RH negative blood, and one reader said she had all the traits, but was O positive.  I started wondering if blood type could change --diet, lifestyle, who knows.  I've been looking around on the Internet:  Some say not possible, you have your blood type for life.  Others say it is possible with a bone marrow transplant.  There are also people who say their blood type changed over the years.  Anyone out there with personal experience?

2. Dr Pooja profile image61
    Dr Poojaposted 5 years ago

Our blood  group is something which we inherit from our parents based on the alleles we get from them.Diet and lifestyle do not determine the  blood group .

Ciel Clarkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I know it is very rare, but it seems (from people with whom I've been in contact and via sources such as Wikipedia), that it does happen-- anyone out there have this experience?  Thanks for your time, Cc

3. Nan Mynatt profile image62
    Nan Mynattposted 5 years ago

I had 11 years of being a medical technologist and no your blood type does not change.  You can't change all of your bones in your body.  Your cells keep being manufactured from the bones, all of them. People who have bone marrow transplants have to keep getting neutralizing injections. Bone marrow transplants must be of the same type of the person receiving the transplant.

Your blood type would change if it was wrongly typed and the wrong blood typed was given.

Ciel Clarkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you both for your answers!  I am not a doctor.  Your comment that the people who said their type changed were wrongly typed makes sense.  Am disappointed in sites I tend to trust (though am always skeptical) --  may I send you both the link ?

4. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

No.

Unless you have a total change of blood in your whole body which means you will be dead. So, I believe it is not possible since we cannot survive without blood.

One of my friend is having the rare blood type: B -

So, he has to donate blood in case in future he needs blood transfusion.

working