jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Is it possible to change your own personality?

1. jabelufiroz profile image72
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

Is it possible to change your own personality?

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 4 years ago

In fact, your own personality is the only one you CAN change, should you choose to do so.
    Details forthcoming in my next Hub.  Thanks for the seed of inspiration.

3. Lee Tea profile image91
    Lee Teaposted 4 years ago

You know, I don't think you can change it much.  I have changed much, the way I perceive happenings and respond to them has changed much, but my nature remains.  It is not that of those I admire who have profound insight, attractive communication, or cool temperment.  I've had to learn to grow within my confines, discovering in turn who or what it is I am.

4. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 4 years ago

They say those 'frontal lobotomy' thingies can change a few things like that, but I wouldn't recommend it; ha!

1. Billie Kelpin profile image88
      Billie Kelpinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

very cute smile  That's about it, I'd say, after 68 years on the face of the planet.

5. Borsia profile image45
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

Yes if you can start by being honest and accept that you need to change.
    But accepting that you have a real need to change is the first and often the hardest part.
    After that it is a matter of being observant and reconsidering your approach and beliefs.
    Remember that saying yes when you want to say o changes nothing you have to really mean yes, not just say it.

6. AUPADHYAY profile image38
    AUPADHYAYposted 4 years ago

Until it harms to anyone, the personality of anyone should not be changed. Though, it is much difficult to change personality but not the impossible one.

7. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

Hello jabelufiroz. I like how you worked platform at your bio and near to the career theme to. Connections can be made offering parallels and opportune with opportunity. Nice!

I say yes to your question. I have empirical proof of one for sure. I first took the Myers-Briggs type indicator survey test the year 1973. A mother daughter team borrowed from Jung developing that analysis for a lengthy period of time. Known as a personality characteristic typing test it has been used within education for several generations as well as professional fields and governmental institutions.

I retook it usually every 4 - 6 years. I am slated to take it again in September with a career path class offered at Palomar Community College. This will make the 7th time taking it in a professional setting with the same learning institution, however with various classes from Search for Identity, Psychology, sociology, counseling, and even reading classes. Conclusion is a notable and documented change for one indicator from one extreme to midway with its polar opposite and another near to the same change yet not as much of a variance.

I also take the Gallup Organization Leadership and Strength inventory survey near every four years taking four so far. I will be retaking that again around September too. That offers change does occur with an inventory of natural talents or gifts with two of five offered as central strengths. Thee have remained in the top five at various levels of priority. Again those other two did offer change was occurring and could be mapped with life events and career path.

I look forward to taking the Strong Interest Inventory in September too. I am not as familiar with that as a tool, however it (also known as the CPP) is used extensively with education both for students and teachers.

Forgive me for being long winded. There will be or are great hubs on some of those available. The others I have worked with is a UK based organization CAPPEU and their Realise2 assessment based on positive psychology and the ViaMe also based on positive psychology. They differ in approach. I believe VIAMe offers a free basic assessment focused on character traits. Both are used by various college and university campuses. There are others of course. A prominent one out of New Zealand is called Excellerate. I know of it and it is a personality assessment too.

So, both rationally and empirically I say yes . . .

8. Diane Woodson profile image61
    Diane Woodsonposted 4 years ago

I don't think so, thats a job for our brain, which does not usually do that! If a person had a disorder that was manifesting itself psychologically then YES I would say its possible, but we cannot change our personalities at will.

9. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

It's really difficult but can be changed by a psychologist. I don't believe you can do it on your own. It's already extremely difficult for someone else to do it. It's possible for you to do it yourself under extreme circumstances that you will not wish on anybody. So leave it up to a psychologist or you will do yourself more harm than good.