jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Do you have difficulty concentrating on more than one thing at a time?

1. brakel2 profile image82
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

Do you have difficulty concentrating on more than one thing at a time?

Constant demand of attention from others at work and home might be an example.

2. sandonia profile image83
    sandoniaposted 5 years ago

It really depends on what I'm doing. It's not uncommon for me to have a TV show running in the background while doing "mindless" tasks on the computer. However, if I need more focused concentration then I have to pause the show or whatever else is distracting me.

If I recall correctly, there was a published study recently that showed humans are actually quite bad at multitasking. This runs contrary to what a lot of employers want from employees these days.

1. jazzy913 profile image61
      jazzy913posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I read an article that multitasking is not a good way to make the most of a busy work day. At work I multitask on a regular basis. I find that I am missing things, and only when I concentrate on one thing at a time am I the most productive.

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

Depends on the circumstances. Listening to several voices at once is a challenge -it's natural to want to respond to everyone with eye contact and a sensible reply but too many cooks spoil the broth.
    As for technology it's becoming increasingly clear to me that the younger generations can handle several machines at once with no loss of quality reponse. From computer to phone to i pad to blackberry to whatever's next on the conveyor belt!
    If you have young family and they're hyperactive then adult energy levels drop and this can undermine concentration - you're so busy doing things for and with them you tend to lose the plot sometimes!
    It's a wonder we're not all burnt out by the time we're 35!

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Yes.  In my younger years I was great at multi-tasking. Now I need to do one thing at a time to be certain it is done correctly. Luckily, the kids are grown and on their own, so there are not the constant demands to do two or three things at once.

5. dghbrh profile image77
    dghbrhposted 5 years ago

it can be done with a little practice but then it depends whether it is really very necessary to do. for me its positive...rather i enjoy it. basically it becomes necessary for the working ladies to manage their time as given in the example in the question itself.

6. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Not really. I normally am doing homework, creating grocery lists, on facebook, and watching shows and movies on Netflix. When I clean the house, the radio is on and planning what to do next. I do plenty so I'm not bored.

1. brakel2 profile image82
      brakel2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

It may be true that multitasking is easier when you are younger. I do know some older women who are good at it, however. It would be an interesting study.

2. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Practice makes perfect.

working