jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do adults cope with homesickness?

1. BritInTexas profile image75
    BritInTexasposted 5 years ago

How do adults cope with homesickness?

Most people associate homesickness with children; but what about adults?  Have you ever suffered with severe homesickness?  How did you cope with it? 

2. profile image0
    TheHealthyWayposted 5 years ago

Dealing with homesickness can be an overwhelming process. However, there are simple ways on how a person can deal with this gradually.

When I feel homesick, I stay with a relative or a close friend in the area I am. This can somehow make me closer to home even I am far away.

I always keep an open mind. I don't treat the new place as similar as they are back home. I always tell myself that "this is not home." This somehow helps me get back to reality and be open-minded. I open myself to new things, people, and experience in the new place. With that, I don't miss home since I have a lot to explore or discover in the new place where I am.

At times, I keep a journal. I write down what I have seen, experienced, or felt living in a new place. This will motivate me to write more so that I have many things to tell the people I left back home.

I send letters and postcards through snail mail to my loved ones. I also email them or send MMS of the beautiful things I discovered in the new place. With this constant communication about the new place, it is just like having my loved ones with me in the new place.

3. vveasey profile image85
    vveaseyposted 5 years ago

Like ET they phone home!

They busy themselves with other experiences and activities

They cry if they have to, which relieves stress.

They examine why they're feeling homesick and accept it as
    a natural reaction and focus on how glad they'll be to see everyone
    they miss when they get back home!

4. mamapotenza profile image60
    mamapotenzaposted 5 years ago

Adults cope with homesickness in the same ways that children do.  The three main ways to adjust to being away fromt the people you love include connecting, seeking out positive activities and keeping momentos of home close by.  It doesn't matter how old we are, or how big or small your support system is, we all need to feel close to what makes us happy.