jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

How do people that have fallen through the safety net of government pay penaltie

1. brittvan22 profile image81
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

How do people that have fallen through the safety net of government pay penalties?

If in 2014 everyone is required to have health care and not everyone qualified, how will they pay the penality? At one point insurance was no cost. Is this new stipulation a double edged sword? Is there more good or bad?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6823534_f260.jpg

2. JimMiles profile image72
    JimMilesposted 5 years ago

"At one point insurance was no cost," you said. No cost to whom? Insurance provided by the government, such as Medicare, has a cost shared by every taxpayer, and the patient receiving the care. Insurance provided by a privately owned company has a cost shared by employers and their employees (both as a payroll deduction and at the point of care as "co-pay".

The penalty paid now by those who can't afford insurance is devastating; just ask anyone who has had a major medical issue and made the mistake of going to a hospital emergency room. The unemployed, either now or in 2014, still pay out of pocket at the point of care.

I say, "Single Payer Healthcare Please!"

http://jimmiles.hubpages.com/hub/Single … are-Please

1. brittvan22 profile image81
      brittvan22posted 5 years agoin reply to this

The insurance I was referring to was blue cross blue shield type of insurance and if you do your research it was free at its primative stage. I can agree with you on the second paragraph.

3. mjboomer profile image75
    mjboomerposted 5 years ago

The very poor have Medicaid, Those over 65 or disabled have Medicare, The wealthy and some among the middle class can afford health insurance. This will now push the working middle class folks without insurance ever closer to poverty.
    Who pays? We all will pay.

1. Georgie Lowery profile image95
      Georgie Loweryposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Not trying to nu-uh you here, but not everyone who is disabled qualifies for state health care. I make too much on disability to qualify for Medicaid and not enough to pay the deductibles and co-pays.

2. mjboomer profile image75
      mjboomerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are right, Our daughter is disabled and has the same trouble accessing medical care. Without a special program offered through the county mental health she would not receive any services, but after 2 yrs she will qualify for Medicare.

4. brittvan22 profile image81
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

I would agree with George that was my point there are those who are in George's very situation and now they will be penalized if they do not have health coverage. I would suggest universal health care. If you look at the stats of those countries with it, we could learn a thing or two from them. If you want people to do their very best you should invest in their health.

5. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 5 years ago

Part of it is that everyone will have to qualify somehow.  Right now, not everyone qualifies, and if you are poor with no dependents nor disability or aged, you're not eligible for any insurance...

Thing is, with this mandate, you would either be covered under the extended medicaid, or a subgroup where you'd pay a lower premium.  Give it time, you'll see the benefits.

So, say if you are homeless, and can't afford anything.  Right now, you could freeze to death under the bridge you live under, and no one is liable for anything, not even preventable medical service.

Under the new plan, it would spread out the burden further, thus creating competition.  The competition not only lowers cost, but also creates more jobs, so now, the homeless couple could at least get a part time job and live at the YMCA. 

For more info, please see my hub - http://likamarie.hubpages.com/hub/Ameri … are-Upheld

working