jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How many of you suffer from SAD syndrome? How does it affect you?

1. annart profile image86
    annartposted 5 years ago

How many of you suffer from SAD syndrome?  How does it affect you?

The weather has been so awful in Britain this summer so I wondered what the consequences were.  I feel so much better when the sun shines but I don't think I have SAD syndrome at least not severely.  I love the sun and the heat but not if it's too humid.

2. Peter Geekie profile image82
    Peter Geekieposted 5 years ago

If the weather is grey and chilly the colours fade all you want to do is go home and curl up in front of a crackling fire and a warm cat/wife (delete where applicable).
    Conversely on a warm day with the sun bathing the landscape everything seems to come to life the colours more vibrant and your spirits lift. There is, of course, the fact that the sun lifts your vitamin levels and your third eye lets it flood in to activate your soul. I'm not sure you can achieve the same thing with a SAD lamp

Kind regards Peter

3. KarlawithaK profile image67
    KarlawithaKposted 5 years ago

Here in the Pacific NW, it is a popular topic during the winter months. There are many days here where we don't have sun and it definitely has its effect. I think part of it also is that we are less active during the winter months. Being physically active is proven to improve mood, so maybe that is something that can be made more a priority in the gloomy months. I like Peter's idea about the bright colors as well.

4. jasmith1 profile image82
    jasmith1posted 5 years ago

I'm in the UK too - it's better where we are this week, but as you said it hasn't been a great summer at all! My husband and I notice a difference in our moods when the weathers bad and we both much prefer sun/heat... we may go to sunnier climes at some point! I try and get outside for a walk most days, even when the weathers bad in the winter as I think exposure to light helps, even if it's only a little.I think many people are affected, even if to a small degree.

5. livingabroad profile image81
    livingabroadposted 5 years ago

Every year around November and December in the UK, I came to realise that I was really effected by the British weather. My overall mood would become bad, tiredness, lack of motivation and feelings of depression would come about which I couldn't get rid of. After such re-occuring feelings over many years, I put it down to SAD. I would exercise regularly, eat healthy and generally carry on as normal but the same feelings would come about.

After spending 2 years living and working in Australia and now Thailand, I have come to the conclusion that it definitely was the weather effecting me. My outlook is more positive and I rarely get any feelings such as what I felt at home during the winter months. Maybe the palm trees have something to do with it?!

1. annart profile image86
      annartposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant!  Now I know what to do!  We do have a trip to Oz and NZ scheduled for this Christmas so I hope that gives me a boost.

working