How do you overcome shyness with your significant other's family?

1. StaceytheWanderer profile image81
    StaceytheWandererposted 5 years ago

How do you overcome shyness with your significant other's family?

I've been with my fiancé for 9 years and I'm still painfully shy to the point where I think his family thinks I'm being a sour puss. Is there anyone else out there with my problem and have you over come it?

2. susiebrown48 profile image75
    susiebrown48posted 5 years ago

I empathize with you Stacey.  I used to be painfully shy to the point of walking with my head down, eyes down.  The thought of going to a party was tantamount to being condemned to hell.  Significant other's family parties were interminable challenges.  It wasn't till I read somewhere that being a good conversationalist can be as simple as being a good listener.  Most people, in conversations, are looking forward to their moment to speak.  I learned a few open ended questions and decided to see how much I could learn about other people.  I was so surprised how the flood gates opened and all I had to do was listen and every once in a while, ask another question.  I was shocked to hear back from my boyfriend that so and so had said what a great conversationalist I was.  The more I listened, the more I realized that everyone was really very similar to me, same worries, same concerns, same joys, same issues.  I am happy to report that now, every one would say I am gregarious and outgoing, but to be honest, the shy girl still lurks right under the surface.  Good luck dear!

1. StaceytheWanderer profile image81
      StaceytheWandererposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's good advice. I feel so weird for being that way around his family because I'm great with strangers and anyone else but for some reason I feel like I'm still being judged after all this time. I'll try the open ended questions.

working