jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Have you ever heard of art therapy?

1. CarlySullens profile image94
    CarlySullensposted 5 years ago

Have you ever heard of art therapy?

What do you think art therapy is?

2. profile image0
    SparrowMinistriesposted 5 years ago

I have heard of art therapy, and have thought of perhaps getting a certification.  In researching it there are, it seems, many different approaches. Generally I think that a therapist can interpret symbolism in the art such as jungian therapy or play therapy.  By looking at how  a child draws him/herself, family, or house a therapist can determine where problems lie.  It works for adults, too.  Guided imagery is another way therapists use images and symbols to get to deep rooted problems.  A person can gain insight by drawing or painting and can rewrite the script of their lives.  Using imagination and imagery is a powerful inroad to the subconscious.

To some degree I am just guessing, although I have read a bit about it, I don't think there is one succinct way to practice it.  What are your thoughts?

1. Lizam1 profile image82
      Lizam1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

There is an approach where drawings can be interpretted.  However there is, in my opinion, a preferred way to work which is non interprative and allows the story to unfold through the clients telling as and when they are ready.

2. profile image0
      SparrowMinistriesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is this good for healing past trauma?

3. brittvan22 profile image81
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

Yes and its a beautiful thing. I found it very helpful in aiding the mentally or physically disabled with coping with life's struggles. Expression is a great gift.

4. Lizam1 profile image82
    Lizam1posted 5 years ago

Yes - I am a trained expressive arts therapist and art therapy practitioner.  Art therapy is a specialized form of counselling in which the client can explore his or her own untold thoughts and stories visually.  Art Therapy is effective for all ages, and can be applied to many different mental health or other health issues.

1. profile image0
      SparrowMinistriesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would like to hear more.

5. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

As a drama teacher and therapist I work alongside art therapists and painting therapists helping young adults with learning difficulties and other disorders like autism.
    What we try to do is create a 'package' of expressive arts for the individuals we teach then work with them either in small groups or one to one.
    The aim is to help the young person express what they have inside - which in many cases might never have seen the light of day! So we encourage painting, collage work, drawing, movement, dance, gesture and so on. Music also plays a part.
    The therapeutical aspect of our work is perhaps not easy to measure but in terms of interaction and creative output the results can be staggering!

6. milleramanda53 profile image78
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

Yes, I use it everyday to help with my epilepsy. It really is a great thing.

1. CarlySullens profile image94
      CarlySullensposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am so glad to hear this!

7. Crissylite profile image76
    Crissyliteposted 5 years ago

Yes. I love art therapy. It allows people to express themselves through their drawings, painting, etc. It works well with children and those who have experienced trauma.

8. CRe8tiVeLiFe profile image68
    CRe8tiVeLiFeposted 4 years ago

Art therapy is a very real thing that I've seen yield amazing results. As a therapist, I especially enjoy using art therapy projects in group therapy sessions. I feel like there's something very powerful about creating something and sharing it in a group session.

There are some things that words just can't express. Using art as a way to get at those things and emotions is one way to unlock feelings that may otherwise stay locked up in a person.