jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What is the weirdest cure for hiccups you have ever heard?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image98
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

What is the weirdest cure for hiccups you have ever heard?

2. bravewarrior profile image92
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

I'll tell you a weird one that actually works. At least it did for me. My neighbor turned me on to this. Take a corner of bread and put a glob of mayo or Miracle Whip on it, then eat. I have no idea why it works but it does!

DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Now that IS odd.  LOL  Thanks for the input!

3. Bob Bamberg profile image95
    Bob Bambergposted 2 years ago

Using a paper cup of water, put a paper towel over the top and sip the water through the paper towel.   I don't know why it works, but it does.  My wife, the nurse, laughed at me when I suggested she try it years ago when she had the hiccups.  To her amazement, it worked.

Wow--interesting.  I'll have to see if we have any paper cups on hand--I don't think so...probably plastic or styrofoam ...   wink

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

hit your chest with your fist a few times after gulping down a glass of warm water. Don't spit out

Okay--I'm guessing you should finish swallowing first, to avoid the spit-out... wink

5. Venkatachari M profile image56
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago

Shout at the victim to enrage him and you will see the hiccups gone as he also indulges in shouting.

Similar to yelling "BOO!" or "LOOKOUT!" I guess--the sudden startle may be what does the trick.  Thanks for contributing.

6. RedElf profile image87
    RedElfposted 2 years ago

I've been told that drinking a glass of water upside down works. But my family's patented, sure-fire, never-fail cure is as follows:

Fill a glass almost full with plain old tap water, not too hot, not too cold, just like Goldilocks porridge. Light a match, let it burn most of the way down, blow it out, and float it in the glass. Drink the water without letting the match stick touch your lips. Works every time smile

Hahahaha...I tried the upside-down thing when I was a kid.  It doesn't work; you can't swallow--gravity wins, and it comes out your nose!  LOL
      But the matchstick one--that is strange.  Thanks for adding to the info.

Closed to reply

working