jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

What causes itching

1. em_saenz profile image41
    em_saenzposted 5 years ago

What causes itching

2. belleart profile image89
    belleartposted 5 years ago

Flea/Insect bites, allergies, diseases/infections, sun burn, dry skin, even emotions can cause rashes and itching. 
    Really it depends on what type of itching your talking about...there are many possibilities!

3. profile image0
    markbennisposted 5 years ago

Being a dirty so and so. Good Hygiene skills usually sorts a lot of it out, but sometimes it can be due to an intolerance to chemicals, high sugar levels, or where the body is having to immediately detoxify via every other avenue, like the skin because the liver cant take no more work on or is over loaded?

4. padmendra profile image47
    padmendraposted 5 years ago

Symptoms of Itching  are :  pricking sensation in the skin, rashes or patches on the skin, reddening of eyes, running nose, pensive and restlessness, too much sneezing, breathing problem , headache in half of the head etc. It is indicative of low resistance power, worms in the stomach, use of  intoxicated  products , use of cosmetics and synthetic clothes. It could be caused by a particular food product or medicine. Also due to excessive consumption of sugar or running through deep mental tension.

5. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

There could be a number of things that can cause itchy skin. The main ones are of course allergies and skin conditions such as eczema etc. However, you can also experience itchy skin due to some medications and some illnesses also cause irritation of the skin. Itching is the body's reaction to a substance that it finds it can't tolerate or identifies it as foreign to the body. This then leads to the body trying to get rid of it, this causes an allergic reaction and itching is one of the symptoms.

6. nancynurse profile image81
    nancynurseposted 5 years ago

This is a difficult question because itching can be caused by a multitude of reason. dry skin, bug bites, allergic reactions, hives, and on and on. You have to act like a detective to figure out the cause.  Even inflammation can cause itching or when the body is healing it can itch.

7. Woody Marx profile image73
    Woody Marxposted 5 years ago

Itching is actually derived from the Chinese word: I-Ching.

You may have heard of the children's rhyme as well:  "I-ching/you ching/we all ching/for ICE Ching!  This gradually evolved into Ice Cream of course, but in China there was no ice cream at the time (244 A.D.) so the children simply wished for more I Ching. 

Now in case you don't know, and I know you don't, just fess up and you will feel much better about it, the I Ching is a book that details how to tell the future by throwing 'yarrow' sticks and then seeing what numbers come up. These numbers correspond to a page in the I Ching where you can find a sort of 'fortune cookie' prediction which you can then apply to your situation. 

It's all very fascinating and I'm certain someone has written a Hub about it. If not, perhaps you might, if you can stop itching.   Now you are making me itch! It's contagious.

8. That Grrl profile image71
    That Grrlposted 5 years ago

Animals!!!! I'm so fed up with going shopping in a retail store (one that is not selling pet food and supplies) only to wind up leaving when I get too itchy and start having asthma. I hate the new thing where every store seems to think they should be "pet friendly". I wish they were people friendly instead. I've yet to see a dog buy a book.

9. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 5 years ago

It is irritation on the skin; it may be caused by dry skin, swelling, etc.

10. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 5 years ago

Itch is a sensory response originating from the skin and carried by the nerve endings in the skin. There are 'itch receptors' in the skin that react to various stimuli. Primarily any suitable irritation of the skin that releases histamine into the skin cells triggers an itch reflex.

The itch sensation can be triggered by various allergic reactions, bites, scratches, chemicals, clothes, infections and infestations. It can also be triggered by presence of certain elements in the blood- excess iron, jaundice etc. There are literally hundreds of reasons for an itch.

Itching can also originate in the nerve endings (neurogenic) and can also be associated with hallucinations and delusions ( psychogenic)...

11. Lifes 2nd Chances profile image78
    Lifes 2nd Chancesposted 5 years ago

The presence of histamines in your system. That is why antihistamines are used for rashes, hives and allergic reactions.

12. instantlyfamily profile image82
    instantlyfamilyposted 5 years ago

Serious itching can be caused by allergies, disease, emotions and infections.

13. profile image0
    danielabramposted 5 years ago

Bug bites are a big cause of itching. Usually it is an irritation of the skin that causes itching.

14. Dorian Bodnariuc profile image78
    Dorian Bodnariucposted 5 years ago

Causes for skin itching include: dermatitis, fungi/bacterial infections, dry skin, dandruff, healing after sunburn, some substances can cause itching on the skin, insects bites, etc... Many of the causes will trigger a histamine release, which is the itching agent. Histamine is released as part of the healing process.