How do I cure my dog's dry skin?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)
  1. To Start Again profile image70
    To Start Againposted 10 years ago

How do I cure my dog's dry skin?

Is there anything like lotion for dogs? How do I relieve his itching?

2. Jlbowden profile image86
    Jlbowdenposted 10 years ago

Two things that we do to relieve itching in our Cock-a-Poo, are the following.

- 2 to 3 baths per week, if possible, with a non- allergenic dog shampoo, that can be purchased in the beauty section, or supplements section of a health food store.

- secondly, we wipe down our dogs fur coat and underlying skin, by giving her a good 70% alcohol rub.  Then from the pharmacy, we purchase a brand name Cortisone 10 creme.

Remember creme and not the Gel. Because the two are distinctly different. The combination of alcohol and Cortisone, should help both the skin and itching, adding some moisturizing emollients to the underlying skin.

We find that these prevention steps work the best in eliminating our pooches itching problems.  And I hope it works for yours as well!  Nothing more annoying then seeing your dog scratching itself incessantly.

Jlbowden

3. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 10 years ago

I bathe my dogs in a oatmeal prescription shampoo that I purchased from my vet. I also give them salmon oil every day. Omega 3 fatty acids are important because they help to reduce inflammation and add to overall skin and coat quality.

4. Dreamhowl profile image93
    Dreamhowlposted 10 years ago

Maybe you could try a salmon oil or omega 3 supplement from the dog vitamin section of your nearest pet store? They could help with your dog's dry skin. My store has a regular customer who has a dog with loads of skin issues. He has mentioned putting a little olive oil in his dog's food daily.

5. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

Pets are like family.  You should never take advice from anyone but an expert with your child, or you dog.  Free advice followed may be detrimental to your dogs health.  You cannot treat any kind of problem without a proper diagnosis as to the cause.  Only your vet can give you that. 
    If you truly care about your pet, take it to a vet.  If he suggests any kind of cream - feel free to ask him what is equivalent for humans that  you can buy over the counter.  There are many human treatments for animals that are also used for humans, but when you buy them from the vet they are twice the price.

1. Craeft profile image82
      Craeftposted 10 years agoin reply to this

hehe... In fact... MOST of them are the same as for humans... even same dose ratios.
      When filling prescriptions, we often tell people not to buy from our pharmacy, but to go to Walmart because it's cheaper and it's exactly the same thing.

6. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

If it is just dry skin, Just Ask SusanĀ“s recommendation on salmon oil is very good. The person who recommended you bathe your dog excessively, and use cortisone, is not correct.
    If your dog is scratching from some other cause, however, he cannot be diagnosed on the internet. Your best bet would be to take him into your vet and have his skin looked at.

1. agilitymach profile image91
      agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like this answer plus adding oatmeal shampoo for when you need to bathe your dog.  Don't bathe your dog more than once every two weeks, and preferably only once a month or less.  Natural oils are important.  And, yes, see your vet first.

7. nataliemarie71 profile image60
    nataliemarie71posted 10 years ago

HHi. I have a Pomeranian, and he had awful skin issues. We have used Tresume shampoo and conditioner. We found out that it has a soothing affect. Also, we have done a lot of research on this, you can rub baby oil on him/her. Good luck! I hope this helps you and your puppy smile

8. aliciaharrell profile image64
    aliciaharrellposted 10 years ago

I use Organic Aloe Vera gel to ease my dachshund's dry skin. My Veterinarian told me this is good for their skin and coat plus non-toxic. I purchase this at my local Health Food Store for around $4 per bottle; lasts about six months. This is an affordable natural measure that does not leave stains or have an odor like Salmon oil does.

My recommendation is first take your dog in to the Veterinarian for a proper diagnosis. There are numerous causes for what looks like dry skin on a pet. Sometimes seemingly dry skin could be a completely different ailment.

My Veterinarian is great at sharing all natural and organic methods of treatment with me for my dog's better health. We have a wonderful relationship; my dog loves her too.

May these ideas be helpful, hope your dog feels better soon. smile

9. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 10 years ago

My dog has dry skin and he wouldn't stop scratching the dry skin really irritated him so I tried, fried pork fat,  once the fat has dripped and cooled wear  gloves and rub the fat all over the area of the dry skin this will reduce or stop the itchiness

1. Craeft profile image82
      Craeftposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are a few reasons this is a VERY bad idea. Not the least of which is the fact that the dog will want to lick it off and ultimately end up with a hotspot. Then you have a new problem on your hands.

Also, it's bad for their coat.

10. LCDWriter profile image90
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

How to help your dog get relief from dry skin, itching and flakes. read more

11. Craeft profile image82
    Craeftposted 10 years ago

Get hypo-allergenic shampoo and mix with over-cooked mushy oatmeal.
    Bathe once a week and you'll notice a difference within a month. Then bathe no more than once a month or so using the same method. The reason for the initial treatment once a week is to get the effects worked in. Then you want them to maintain their own secretions into their coat. This is important to protect them from many things.

In addition to helping with the skin, you will find their coat softer and shinier.  smile

If the problem persists, take him to the vet to test for allergies. If it's really bad, they might put him on prednisone for a short time to get it under control and then from there, it's just maintenance.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)