Do you have epilepsy? If so how do you deal with it?

1. milleramanda53 profile image78
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

Do you have epilepsy? If so how do you deal with it?

2. Michele Travis profile image69
    Michele Travisposted 5 years ago

I have very severe epilepsy.  several times seizures have cause injuries.  Went to the hospital for surgery.  The first one did not work.  After that one, I had a seizure so bad, I stopped breathing.  They had to help me breath, for two minutes.  My heart did not stop.  I did not wake up for about 12 hours.  I do not remember anything.  The next surgery was 2 years ago, at the Cleveland Clinic.  They took part of my frontal lobe on the left side.  Since then I have only had about 4 seizures, which is good compared to 4-5 seizures per week. There is a huge dent in my head which is why all my pictures on hubpages  only show the right side of my head.  I still have to take a lot of  medicine, there are lesions on the right and left side of my brain.  They are still growing.  But, for now I am ok.  But,  I have been bald twice.   I also have a Vagus Nerve Stimulator,  It sends electric jolts to your brain, to keep seizures form happening. Oh well, life is life.  I am ok with it because I feel God loves me and I love God. 
    That is pretty much it. 
    Thank you for asking this question.  It is an interesting one.

3. Sami theshark profile image61
    Sami thesharkposted 5 years ago

I was diagnosed only two years ago at the age of 31. I am still learning how to deal with it. I knew nothing about it and I had neither family or friends with it. It is uncontrolled and has been so bad I was having up to 20+ full tonic clonic seizures a day. This has clamed down a little but it is a huge battle. I have only just started to accept that I have it.

My philosophy on life is that I may have epilepsy but it lives with me not the other way round! I don't ask why me, as I will probably never know and it won't change anything. There are so many other people in this world so much worse off than me, this doesn't mean that it is hard going sometimes. Especially for my kids but we get on with it and look to the future, we know that things can only get get better now I have a new Neurologist who knows what he is doing. We laugh and we cry but most of all we stick together as a family and support each other as this is the most important way of dealing with it. Plus we all have learnt about this condition, we can only be a good thing as it rasies more awareness.

I take one day at a time and thank God that I am alive each day as I have way to many close calls but I have too much to do before I plan on going anywhere, I think God would agree with me on that too ;o)