How do you deal with anxiety and epilepsy?

1. milleramanda53 profile image81
    milleramanda53posted 4 years ago

How do you deal with anxiety and epilepsy?

I have been dealing with anxiety since my teenage years I'm 30 now but I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2006. Epilepsy runs in my family but I haven't heard of any connections with anxiety with it. I am on medication for my seizures and it seems to be keeping the anxiety attacks at bay but if I miss a dose my hands now break out in severe blisters to the point I can't even hold a pencil. Is there anything else I can do to help. I do art and music therapy to help keep me calm.

2. LauraAmsel profile image71
    LauraAmselposted 4 years ago

You should talk to your doctor about perhaps switching medications. There are a number of medications which can control seizures and anxiety at the same time, such as Klonopin (just one example). I have not heard of blistered hands being a withdrawal symptom of medications used to control epilepsy, so that particular symptom definitely needs to be addressed by your doctor. Dealing with medical conditions can be very stressful. I wish you the best of luck.

3. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

I actually do EEG's and have notice that a really good percentage of people with epilepsy also suffer from anxiety and/or depression. When was your last EEG?