jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Is drug resistant helicobacter pylori infection possible to cure?

1. tnvrstar profile image73
    tnvrstarposted 5 years ago

Is drug resistant helicobacter pylori infection possible to cure?

I have been diagnosed with H. pylori 6 months ago. My gastroenterologist prescribed 2 separate heavy course of antibiotic course but both of them failed to eradicate the Bacteria. I do have stomach ulcer. What should I do? Is it possible to eradicate drug resistant H. pylori Bacteria?

2. sshouse18 profile image69
    sshouse18posted 5 years ago

No single drug can cure the infection. The treatment is usually a proton pump inhibitor. This decreases the acid production in your stomach, which lets the damaged tissues heal.
    Some proton pump inhibitor medicines are:
    lansoprazole (Prevacid®)
    omeprazole (Prilosec®),
    pantoprazole (Protonix®),
    rabeprazole (AcipHex®),
    dexlansoprazole (Dexilant®),
    esomeprazole (Nexium®).
    Two antibiotics are used; this reduces the risk of treatment failure and antibiotic resistance.

One medicine is usually the antibacterial and one the proton pump inhibitor. The main cause for the failure is due to antimicrobial resistance.  A medicine called
    clarithromycin seems to be the most important resistance because it is considered a first choice. Some cases have used multi(quadruple or triple therapies) with the medicines h amoxicillin-metronidazole or tetracycline-metronidazole. If the strain is resistant to these, then other combinations such as
    amoxicillin-rifabutin, amoxicillin-levofloxacin or amoxicillin-furazolidone can be used. Even then...just amoxicillin can be used as the only antibacterial or
    The most important resistance to consider is that to clarithromycin, since it is the first-choice antibacterial and clarithromycin resistance is highly clinically significant. Quadruple therapy or triple therapies with amoxicillin-metronidazole or tetracycline-metronidazole and a PPI or ranitidine bismuth can then be used despite a possible resistance to metronidazole if the strain is resistant to clarithromycin. Resistance to both clarithromycin and metronidazole may lead to the use of other combinations, i.e. amoxicillin-rifabutin, amoxicillin-levofloxacin or amoxicillin-furazolidone. Resistance to any of these drugs means their use must be avoided. In some instances, it may also be advisable to prescribe amoxicillin as the sole antibacterial, or to use a quadruple therapy with furazolidone instead of metronidazole.

it is theoretically possible to cure a drug-resistant H. pylori infection but apparently from a multi-drug standpoint so I would discuss a different approach with your doctor if nothing is working.

I took information from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15329036
    http://www.uptodate.com/contents/helico … the-basics

3. artist101 profile image68
    artist101posted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7762119_f260.jpg

I do not have stomach ulcers, I am not a doctor. I can only recommend what my findings have been, through years of research, and reading everything I could get my hands on, that said, here goes:
    I wrote an article on IBS, ulcers included. I suffered from IBS, and all of it's problems. Like you, nothing worked. The only things that did work, were the naturals. Among the natural recommendations have been L-glutamine, to heal the intestines, stomach, and throat. From one end to the other. Probiotic pearls, to replace the good bacteria that fights off the infections, and bad bacteria. Especially since youve had multipul rounds of anti biotics, which further upset intestinal flora. Juicing with raw fruits, and vegatables, and yogurt, (plain) for added good bacteria.
    For ulcers it is mastic gum, which is derived from pastachios. Actually kills the bacteria that causes Hpylori.
    my article: http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/IBS-I … Treatments

1. artist101 profile image68
      artist101posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Obviously you want to stay away from acidic food as well, this includes coffee. Which can aggravate the condition.

working