jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What Are The Best Ways To Reduce The Risk Of Getting Kidney Stones?

1. PhoenixV profile image74
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

2. arrtd2 profile image61
    arrtd2posted 5 years ago

My dad has always been prone to getting kidney stones and two things that help him:

1) minimize consumption of foods that can cause kidney stones/calcifications such as cheese and grapes

2) Drink at least 75-80 oz. of liquids a day

3. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

Drink 8 glass of water per day, don't hold on your urine in the bladder too long, go to the toilet once you feel the urge and look out your diet.

4. smarter4ever profile image76
    smarter4everposted 5 years ago

In my personal opinion, and from personal experience, the best way to reduce the risk of getting kidney stones is to drink plenty of fluids, mainly water, and some cranberry juice.  I've heard it said, lemonade is also very useful.

5. fitmom profile image84
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

Drinking plenty of water is the key. Drinking lots of tea and carbonated beverages can lead to kidney stones.

6. Prakash Dighe profile image83
    Prakash Digheposted 5 years ago

Drink plenty of liquids - water, barley water, water melon, coconut water, beer - anything that flushes the kidneys all the time. I had this problem many years ago - luckily I passed the stones thru the urine (an excrutiatingly painful experience), but have been consuming plenty of fluids ever since and have had no problems. OK, one does need to run to the restroom every two hours, but the consequences of not consuming liquids can be a lot worse.

7. conradofontanilla profile image81
    conradofontanillaposted 5 years ago

A kidney stone is a precipitate of chemicals hardened by calcium, a waste material in the urine. Formation of stone can be prevented. The stone can be dissolved. read more