jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Squeezing in exercise during work hours or just a lump in a chair all day?

1. rutley profile image73
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

Squeezing in exercise during work hours or just a lump in a chair all day?

You can even if you have to sit all day..... but do you try?

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Hi rutley,  My work has always been physical  (standing, walking, lifting, bending, etc);however, when I sit for extended periods I like to do a series of stretches from my chair w/o making it look like I'm doing obvious calisthenics.smile

3. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

Lucky for me my work also includes a lot of physical activity. It's a good thing too because ,on some days, a lump in a chair sounds pretty good.

4. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

I read simply swapping out a desk chair for a swiss ball will burn 50 to 100 calories an hour. It forces your body to be in good posture and causes your muscles to get a work out as you have to balance in the ball. Its the easiest way to burn calories if you ask me!

5. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

Working from home has advantages, I can take a break to hit the gym.  If I had to work outside the home, I would try to squeeze in some type of exercise during the work day.  A walk around the building, or a park?

6. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I have a treadmill at home in front of the TV for when I feel energetic along with a punching bag in case anyone gets upset in the house.

7. Wellnessinrva profile image60
    Wellnessinrvaposted 5 years ago

I fortunately just left the "lump in a chair all day" environment and it is so bad for you!  To keep my metabolism up and keep my blood circulating, particularly in my legs, I tried to make a point of getting up once an hour to stretch or run up a couple flights of stairs.  It improved my concentration and made me feel fresher when I returned to my work.  Endocrinologists support this approach to keeping movement throughout the day instead of relying on one spurt a day at the gym.

8. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 5 years ago

I do not try to exercise while I am working.  However I do exercise during my recreation time.  After work I get lots of exercise.  Exercising during work hours would not be a very efficient way to exercise.  The exercises I usually do use a lot of energy and causes muscle fatigue.  I like to do it when I don't have other things to do afterwards.  A while ago I replaced sitting on the couch and watching TV with exercising while I watch TV.

working